Part XVI - Interrogation Room

When I walk into the sitting room, everyone is sitting around and whispering quietly.  Damn, Coco spread the word fast; I only told her my fake story last night.  Mallory motions for me to sit with her and Gallant, so I take the empty seat next to them.

"Where's Coco?" I ask.

Gallant shrugs.  He was just let out of the interrogation room last night.  "I don't know, but did you hear the news about Mead?"

I nod.  "Coco already told me."  Good, it sounds like she didn't mention my name to them.

"It's absolutely insane," Mallory shakes her head.  "I couldn't believe it when I heard it, but now that I think of it, it makes sense.  Nobody saw those two Grays having sex."

I nod.  It seems that my lie was a good one; even Mallory who knew the two Grays is buying it.

"No, stop!" Coco screams from down the hallway.

We all turn to see Mead storming down the hallway, the Fist dragging Coco behind her.

"Oh shit," I mutter.  There's no way in hell that Coco wouldn't sell me out if it got her out of a punishment.

"Let me go!" Coco screams as they arrive in the sitting room.  The Fist throws her to the ground in front of us as Mead storms towards me.

"Ms. Callistra," she states angrily as she takes my arm.

"Ms. Mead, I'm sure that there's been a misunderstanding here," I say calmly as I slip into her mind.  Oh shit.  She's a robot, so I can't mind-control her.  

"There is nothing to be misunderstood.  Ms. Pierre-Vanderbilt sold you out in exchange for her life," she says coldly.

"Valentina, I'm so sorry," Coco whimpers from the ground.  "I didn't tell anybody that you told me, but they were threatening to kill me."

Mead turns to the Fist.  "Take her to the interrogation room."

I quickly slip into the Fist's mind.  "Are you sure?" she asks Mead. 

Mead sends her a strange look.  "What the hell do you mean, 'are you sure?'  Take her down this instant!"

I make the Fist hesitate for long enough for me to take a swing at Mead.  Mead steps back, caught off guard, and I make a run for it.  By the time I've started running, the Fist has regained control of her mind, so she takes a baton from her coat and delivers a blow to the side of the head.

I gasp as I fall over, my vision immediately faltering.  Shit, that hurt worse than you'd think it would.  I don't even know how I'm still conscious.

"Are you going to kill her?" Gallant asks worriedly as the Fist picks me up.  I try to mind-control her into letting me go, but my head begins pounding before I can even will it to happen.

"We'll determine that later," Mead states as I'm carried away, my consciousness fading in and out.  

I'm not aware of how much time has passed, but I feel myself get thrown onto the floor, assumedly in the interrogation room.  The pounding in my head subsides enough for me to see the room around me.

The dark walls slowly come into focus, as does the cold tile pressing against my back.  The circular shape of the room makes me feel dizzy.  It's strange, but I suppose it's not the strangest thing in this outpost.

I drag myself over to the wall and lean against it.  It takes everything in me to stay awake; I know that sleeping with a concussion is the worst thing to do.

After what feels like hours, the door opens.  I roll my head to the side to see Venable entering the room.  "What the hell were you thinking?" she asks, allowing her frustration to show in her tone.