Part XXII - Aftermath

The trepidation further sets in with each step that I take.  The sound of my heels clicking down the hallway echoes throughout the outpost, leaving me in silence with my thoughts.  Am I really about to risk it all just for the hope that these witches I barely know will keep their promise and save Michael?  Did I really just double-cross Michael when I know that he can easily kill me?

My heart begins racing when I hear another pair of footsteps join my own.  The distinctive click of Michael's boots grows closer, and I slowly turn towards the side hallway where Mallory was stabbed.

I straighten out, composing myself, as a blood-covered Michael walks towards me.  "Michael," I state stiffly, attempting to block out the emotions threatening to seep through the name.

He stops and straightens out as well, facing me down.  "Valentina," he replies, matching my tone.  "I hope for your sake that what I saw in Coco's mind was not true."

"I think that we both saw this coming," I state.

"We had a deal," he retorts, the betrayal clear in his voice.

"Deals do not bind me to a plan of action," I respond.  "Let's just say that I had won the bet; would you have dropped this whole plan?"

He looks down as he shakes his head.  "No."

I chuckle to myself bitterly.  "Well, maybe you were right; we are more alike than I thought."

He smiles sadly.  "So what, are you going to make me kill you?  Or are you going to get out of my way?"

"You still have time," I ignore his question.  "You can help the witches perform Tempus Infinitum.  They can undo the mess of things in this timeline."

He shakes his head.  "This is how it has to be."

"Says who?  Your father?" I question almost mockingly.

"No, me.  Valentina, I am evil, and it's my job to do this."

Fuck, I'm losing him.  "We both know that's a lie.  You're not truly evil, and your younger self was not at all evil.  This isn't what you want and you know it."

"Stop trying to mess with my head!" he yells.  "It worked before, but it's not going to happen again."

"I'm only trying to help you!" I protest.  "Your father is the one messing with your head!"

"Enough!" he shouts as he presses a hand to his head.

I step forward.  "I get it.  You're torn between two sides here.  You need to listen to me when I tell you that-"

"Don't you get it?" Michael cuts me off.  "I don't want to be good.  I'm a lost cause.  So either get behind me or die with the witches."

I step back as I shake my head.  "You aren't a lost cause.  Stop being a coward and defy your father for once."

He snaps his head up to stare me down.  "What?"

"You heard me.  You're being a coward.  You're giving in to the problem instead of fighting it.  I get it, I'm not as scary as Satan-"

"That's debatable," he shrugs.

I roll my eyes and ignore him.  "-but that doesn't mean I'm not correct.  I'm right, and you know it."

He shakes his head and looks down.  

After a minute, he looks back up at me, realization setting in his face.  "You're stalling."

I scoff.  "Took you long enough to realize."

He quickly walks past me and turns down the hallway just as Myrtle and Cordelia finish their chant.  "Fuck!" he gasps, most likely reading their minds to see their plans of performing the Sacred Taking.