B R E A T H E

~Champion selection day~ 

Avery walked into the crowded great hall hand in hand with Cedric. The hall was packed with everyone who decided to go, which was mostly every student in the building. It was a bit odd sitting down on benches that weren't sorted by the house, but Avery weirdly liked it. 

"Isn't it a bit odd?" Avery asked Cedric. "What's that?" Cedric replied out of his daze looking at the cup. "Oh, nothing Ced. You'll be fine" She looked up at the boy, who looked extremely nervous. "It was just for a bit of fun, right?" He didn't answer her but kept looking around instead. "Right?" She asked again. He nodded to Avery with a sort of distance she's never seen before. "Let's sit down" He urged her to start moving with the pull of her hand. They ended up sitting between Justin and Zach, with a couple of his other friends. 

Cedric in fact wanted to get chosen. Of course, he got the idea from his friends, but more importantly to him he wanted to make his dad proud.

The conversation the lot was having ended swiftly when the calm but radiant voice of the headmaster said "sit down, please" to the crowd of students. 

"Now the moment you've all been waiting for, the champion selection," He said while dimming the lights of the hall. The students all sat in silence and anticipation while Dumbledore slowly made his way toward the goblet.  The flame grew a shade of red and spat out a piece of parchment. 

"The durmstrang champion is... Viktor Krum!" 

All the boys from Durmstrang cheered in low voices, clapping their hands on Viktor's back. He then made his way over to Dumbledore and shook the old wizard's hand. 

Next, the flame spewed out a round piece of parchment, and it was called out the Fleur Delacour would be the champion for Beaux-batons. The same reaction happened with the girls from the school, and Fleur floated eloquently towards Dumbledore to shake his hand.

Next, the moment Avery was dreading; The Hogwarts champion. 

Dumbledore waited until the piece of paper fell down to catch it, and as Avery took one long deep breath in Dumbledore read of the champion. 

"The Hogwarts champion-" 

Deep breath in...

"Is.." 

"Deep breath out...

"Cedric Diggory!" 

He let go of her hand and smiled as wide as he could while making his way up to Dumbledore. 

Avery tried to smile for him, but instead, let out a shaky breath. With that, she got up and left the grand hall, and ran into the courtyard. 

~~~

As soon as she saw she was alone she let the tears fall as she sat on the cement bench in the courtyard. 

"Ave, are you okay" Fred sat down beside her. "Avery, talk to me" He begged. She took her face out of her hands and faced her brother. "I told him not to, Fred." 

"I told him-" She couldn't form a proper sentence, and instead Fred wrapped his arms around his sister in comfort. 

"Fred people die in this tournament." She looked up at him, and he just frowned. "Avery, Cedric's a tough cookie, he will be fine" He smiled at her. "But what if he doesn't end up fine, Fred. What then?" 

"I don't know the answer, Avery. But, I do know that Cedric is a very talented wizard. He wouldn't have put his name in if he didn't think he could do it" 

They sat in the thought for a bit, and the moment ended with Fred taking a breath to say something, but stopping himself. 

"What is it...." She asked. 

"You promise not to shoot the messenger" He chuckled. 

"More bad news?" 

"I'm afraid so... 

Harry's name was pulled out of the cup, he has to compete." She stared at him with anger. This time she wasn't sad, she was angry. Harry knew better. 

"Thank you Fred" She got up with a smile and stormed as fast as she could to the boy's dormitory.

 As soon as she got to the door she hit it open. Shoving past Neville. "Move Neville," She said as she stomped past. Avery finally got to the other side of the dorm where Ron and Harry were. 

"You. Complete. Ass!" She hit his chest in-between each word as hard as she could, but Harry seemed unfazed. "What the hell Vee'" Harry said. "Don't 'what the hell me'. How could you! You know better! Now I have two people who could very well die in this tournament!!" Ron scoffed at Harry as he rolled his eyes. "I didn't ask for this to happen. Your both being stupid" Harry spat. "Yeah, that's me, Harry Potter's stupid friend," Ron said as he got in his bed. "I didn't put my name in that cup. I don't want eternal glory, I just want- Look I don't know what happened tonight, and I don't know why. It just did. k?" Harry wasn't even looking at Avery. "Piss off." Ron spat at him as he pulled the red covers over. Avery walked over to Harry's bed.

"Your so stupid Harry Potter" She huffed as she sat down. 

"Vee you have to believe me, I didn't do it. I swear..." He looked completely defeated. 

 "Look, Harry. I believe you, but you better not toss this off as a school project. This is life and death, and you will not die on me, Harry Potter."  She looked into his eyes with hope for a good outcome of this whole ordeal. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avery was tossing in her bed, thinking about the stupid tournament. She had enough of staring at the dorm celing and crept out of the girl's dormitory, and down the stairs to see Harry. He was reading the newspaper, his face emanating anger. The black-haired boy crumpled the ghastly paper into the fire. "Nightmare?" Avery says as she walks to the couch. She must have been quiet because Harry jumped. "uh-no. Couldn't sleep." Avery sits on the couch and motions Harry to sit with her. "Same here." She sighed, running her fingers through her hair. "You wanna know something funny? I was really looking forward to this year. Even though I had a slight feeling that it would suck, I guess I should have trusted my guy, eh?" Said Avery. 

"What are you on about. This year has been good for you. Perfect Avery Weasley, the only girl. With the perfect family, perfect grades... Perfect boyfriend." She scoffed and adjusted herself to face Harry.

 "Excuse me, Mr. Chosen one. My family is nowhere near perfect, we live ration to ration, and worry about how much money we have for a week ahead, just so we have meals. Now, i love my family, but most of the time you don't see how frustrating it can get being the only girl with brothers. Secondly! I only have good grades because I don't fool around the school as your ass does. I work hard for what I have... And Cedric... Well, he just entered a murderous tournament. So before you say things next time, think. It'll do you some good" She huffed with a final breath and saw the guilt in Harry's eyes. 

"Look Harry, I know your life is hard. But, that doesn't mean other people don't struggle." She sternly said. "What are you two doing." Ron suddenly appeared. "We both couldn't sleep." She shrugged. "He's probably preparing for his next interview I suppose." He spat. "Come on Ron-" He cut her off. "You should go to bed Avery, it's late. Goodnight." Harry and Avery both said goodnight. "I said that to Avery, not you." He spat as he walked up the stairs. "He'll come around, he always does."

-----------

A/N: 

YAY another chapter is done! 

Please leave a comment about what you want to see for this story in the future because i'm going through a little bit of writer's block! 

Word count: 1322