Chapter Four

"So where are you taking me?" I ask Julian. He was holding my hand, leading me deeper into the forest. "You're not going to murder me, are you?"

Julian laughs, glancing back at me. "No, not yet at least." He jokes.

I smile, even though something about that didn't sit well with me. Probably because we're supposed to be mortal enemies. "So you can't tell me where we're going?"

"I want it to be a surprise. If I tell you where I'm taking you, it'll make it less special." He says.

"I guess that's somewhat sweet." I reply.

"You like water, right?" Julian asks suddenly.

"Water? Does the place we're going have water?" The forest started to get denser and the terrain got more rough as we continued on.

"Not to spoil it but yes. It's where I go everytime I feel down and need to escape." He says.

"Princes feel sad sometimes?" I ask, but I understood completely about having a safe place. More than he could ever know.

"Surprisingly, yes." Julian slows his walk. "It's nice to escape from all the craziness, especially after the war started."

Julian stops in front of a cave with moss vines hanging over the entrance. "You brought me to a cave? This is what you wanted to show me?" I question.

"Just wait." Julian ties Feltar to a nearby tree before taking my hand again and leading me into the cave.

I gasp when I realize the cave was only an entrance to enclosed pond. Flowers were growing everywhere and the setting sun glistened on the pond, making the place seem right of the stories my parents used to read to me.

"It's so pretty Julian, I understand why you come here." I move towards the pond, crouching in front of it. The water moves slowly and I could feel the stress already starting to melt away.

"Yeah, it is very beautiful, especially at night." Julian sits next to me.

"May I ask you something?" I ask, glancing at him. I felt a little nervous about asking him, but I needed to know.

"Yes, of course."

"Why have you been traveling around Astoan lately? Surely if any patrols found you, you'd be taken or worse, killed." I say. "I doubt, during this war, you have an unrelated reason for it."

Julian stiffens, not bothering to look at me. "It's um, because I got tired of riding around Keditha, I needed some different views."

I knew he was lying, it was all in his body language. But he definitely wouldn't tell a Astoan or someone that wasn't apart of some high ranking family.

"I guess I could understand that..." I gaze out on the pond, realizing this place was missing a waterfall. But I guess all this was already too good to be true.

"What do you think of the royal family." I blurt out suddenly, not sure if I actually wanted to hear the answer.

"Of Astoan? Well, I'm not sure. I've only met the queen and king, never their daughter." Julian throws a rock out into the pond. "My father says they're cowards but I'm not sure. I guess it makes sense since King Roland sits in his ivory castle instead of actually fighting in the war, like my father and brother do."

I bristle at the way he said that. My father was not a coward, far from it. As for not fighting in the war, he more has a taste for the politics even though he's a great soldier.

"What about the daughter?" I couldn't help from asking.

"As I said, I've never met her, haven't even seen her. I can't imagine she'd be that pretty."

My jaw drops. How dare he say that. I was almost half tempted to tell him who I was. "I can assure you, the princess is very beautiful." I say, clearing my throat.

Julian studies me before smiling. "Maybe so, but I doubt she's as beautiful as you."

I'd laugh at the irony, if I wasn't too busy blushing. "I'd say we're both decent looking." I reply awkwardly.

"So... You've met the princess?" He asks, throwing more rocks into the water.

This time I stiffen. "Um, I've never talked to her if that's what you're asking." Unless I talked to myself. "I've only been in the same room with her. Once... It was a one time deal."

"And what occasion was that for?" He questions further, as if he was suspicious about the whole thing.

I feel myself turning redder than when he gave me that ironically sweet compliment. "It was um... For a um... Ball! It was a ball."

"Ball?"

"Yes, my lady invited me to come with her since her husband couldn't make and I accepted." I let out a breath I didn't notice I was holding.

"That was nice of her."

"Yes, very." I say, feeling too on edge to even look at him. I hated keeping up this act. The amount of times I almost slipped up and said something that could give me away was almost treasonous.

Julian watches me for uncomfortably long time. "You're smarter than I realized."

I laugh awkwardly. "What? Did you think I was stupid or something?"

"No no, I didn't mean that at all. I just meant most hand servants I know don't act like you." He leans back, staring at the sky. The sun had completely set at this point and all that remained was the stars and moon. Resting his hands on his stomach, he looks back at me.

"I'm just special, I guess." I joke, smiling at him.

"Yeah, you are. Even if you have horrible taste in poetry." He teases, smiling back.

I shake my head. "Julian, can I be honest with you?" I ask, scowling. I glance away nervously, not wanting to admit. But I had to.

It was time.

Julian moves back to a sitting position, giving me a concerned look. "Amy, what's wrong?"

I sigh heavily. "Here's the thing, I...I actually hate poetry." I say, struggling to keep a straight face.

Julian bursts out laughing. "Amy, you had me worried for a second. I thought something seriously wrong."

I couldn't help from laughing myself. "What do you mean? I lied to you." I say, giggling.

"About poetry. That's not serious." He laughs again, shaking his head at me. He glances up at the sky again.

I follow his gaze. It was incredibly beautiful with all the stars. Nothing could compare to it. "It's getting kind of late, I should head back home." I say, standing up.

"Let me take you there. It's far too late for you to be on your own." Julian offers.

"No Julian, you don't have to. I'm perfectly fine with walking home myself." I follow him to his horse. I hope he wanted press any further, I had no backup plan for that. Unless I thought of something quick.

"Amy, please I insist." He unties Feltar from her post, patting her man gently.

I pause for moment, thinking of my options. Darn his kindness. "Just take me to the Astoan and Keditha border, I don't live far from there." It wasn't a complete lie. My castle was fairly near the border, but I'd still have a ways to walk.

Julian looks at me, unconvinced. "Are you sure?" He questions.

"Yes, I would know where I live." I tell him, rather rudely.

"Alright, but we're not going to walk there." Julian helps me unto Feltar, then climbs into the saddle behind me.

"I still don't like it though." He mutters, before snapping the reigns, sending Feltar into movement.