Chapter Twenty-Three

The courtyard was empty, which was strange because whenever I looked out Philip's window, it was filled with people and horses. Philip must've had something planned if he took the time to empty it.

Julian narrows his eyes. "What does a empty courtyard have to do with us?" He questions.

"This is where I'll execute you for treason against my beautiful country." Philip steps towards the middle of the courtyard, gesturing widely around it. "I didn't want you to bleed all over my throne room."

"Weren't you the one who put your "bride" in a jail cell?" Julian asks him, glaring. "It barely looks like you fed her."

Philip nods, and the guards bring Julian over to him. "It was just all a part of the plan to kill you. I'm willing to make sacrifices others couldn't."

The corners of Julian turn upwards ever so slightly. "Like your father?" He grins proudly.

Philip scowls, nodding his head at the guards again. They kick the back of Julian's legs, causing him to fall to his knees.

I struggle against the guard's grip. "You can't do this Philip!" I yell.

Philip grins. he unsheathes his sword, holding it up to Julian's face. He cuts Julian's cheek open with one swift motion. Julian gasps loudly.

"Are you too proud to beg?" Philip taunts. Philip grabs his face, forcing Julian to look in his eyes. Julian winces as Philip presses against his wound. "Come on Julian, beg for your life." Philip snaps.

Julian remains silent. Julian exchanges a look with me. I shake my head slightly, mouthing no to him.

Philip follows his gaze. "Or..." He starts, reaching for me and pulling me next to him. I stiffen as the sword rests on my shoulder. "Will you beg for her life?"

Julian's eyes widen. " No, you can't!" He says. He tries to stand up but the guards keep him kneeled.

Philip turns the sword, cutting into my skin. I cry out in pain. "Beg Julian, and I might just spare her." He sneers.

Julian hesitates slightly. "I- your fight is with me Philip, not her. If you're going to kill someone, kill me." He says.

"Julian, no!" I reach for him but Philip pulls me back. Philip grips my injured shoulder, causing me to gasp and my eyes filled with tears.

"That's not what I asked Julian." Philip shoves me into a kneeling position. "I will kill her." He grabs my hair, pulling my head back. Philip places the sword on my neck.

"Okay fine!" Julian snaps. "Please do-don't kill her. I beg...I beg you." Julian looks down, his ears turning red.

"You'll have to do better than that Prince." Philip snaps.

Julian frowns. "Please she's the only thing I have that means more then anything. I beg you, please don't hurt her. Please." Julian looks desperately between the two of us.

Philip clicks his tongue. "I think not." He says, looking Julian straight in the eyes. "Say goodbye to your pretty little princess." He presses the sword against my neck.

"No!" Julian shouts. He shoves off the guards holding him. He grabs Philip's arm, pulling the sword away from me. "Athena go!" He tells me.

I scramble to my feet. But a guard grabs me, preventing me from running anywhere. "Let me go!" I shout.

Julian and Philip continue to struggle. Philip hits Julian, causing him to stumble back. "You have caused me too much trouble." Philip yells at him. "It's time I got rid of you."

More guards grab Julian, shoving him back to his knees. "Say goodnight prince." Philip says, patting Julian's cheek.

I watch in horror as Philip's sword cleanly enters Julian's body. "No! Julian!" I scream, struggling more. Philip pulls the the sword out and Julian slumps to the ground.

I fight of the guard holding me, going to Julian. "Julian?" I ask softly, kneeling next to him. I stared at the wound, bleeding heavily. His jacket was already soaked in blood.

"Athi..." Julian reaches up, brushing my hair. "Remember I'll always love you Beautiful."

I shake my head. " No no Julian. You said we would leave! You said everything would be okay and we would Astoan and Keditha!" I sob.

I press my hands against his wound. "Please Julian, don't leave me! Please you're not supposed to leave me!"

Julian grabs my hands, keeping me from trying to save him. "Athena, can you do something for me?" He mumbles.

"Julian..."

Julian turns my hand upwards. He places a small silver ring in my hand. "Take care of this for me."

"What?" I wipe my tears, smearing blood on my face.

Julian coughs. "It's my ring, I-I want you to have...have it."

I clutch the ring in my hand, sobbing. "Julian please don't leave me. I can't lose you too." I beg. "Please Julian, I love you."

Julian wipes my tears, leaving his hand resting on my face. "I love you too Athena. I always will, no matter what." He mutters slowly.

His hand falls from my face as his eyes close slowly. I shake him. "Julian? Julian please wake up!" He doesn't respond.

"Get her out of here!" Philip snaps. "And get rid of this body." He sheathes his sword, still covered in blood.

A guard comes forward, grabbing my arms. "No, let me go!" I scream and kick. "Julian!" I cry as the guard drags me away from his body.

"Where should I take her? Back to the cell?" The guard questions.

"No, take her to my room and prepare the brother for execution." Philip snaps.

I struggle against the guard so he picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder. It only takes a minute for him to take me to Philip's room.

He drops me to my feet, shoving me inside. The door slams shut and locks.

I glance around the empty room, tears stained my face and I was covered in dirt and Julian's blood. I sink to my knees, sobbing into my hands.

I loved him and now he's gone.