Chapter Five

"Athena, hurry up!" Emilie practically yells. She searches my closet, looking for the perfect dress. Tossing a couple on my bed, she goes back in for some shoes.

"I don't understand why I have to cancel my plans because King Nick and what's his face decided to arrive early." I tap my pencil on the table. I haven't totally come to terms with my... engagement. But might as well give Philip a chance, he might be nice or better yet, handsome.

"I hope you don't plan on calling King Nicholas, Nick." Emilie gathers the paper scattered across the table and places them in a drawer.

"Hey! I was working on that!" I snap at her.

"You can finish your homework later, right now I need to get you ready or you are going to be late." Emilie drags me to my feet.

"I don't want to meet Philip, I just want to go back to my normal life. Preferably when I was a child and my parents read books to me at night." I complain.

"Oh poor you, an handsome prince wants to marry you. What ever will you do." Emilie teases, helping me with my corset.

"It's not that. I always thought I'd marry for love and I don't know if he's handsome." I study the dresses on the bed, wondering which one to pick. If I took too long, Emilie would end up picking for me.

Emilie shakes her head. "Don't make any decisions about him before you meet him." She says, grabbing a dress off the bed and shoving it into my hands.

I sigh. I'd rather be goofing off with Amy, which was what I had planned before Nicholas and Philip arrived, or... "You know Julian did last night?" I say, pulling the dress over my head.

Emilie spins, grinning at me. I finally had her full attention. "What did he do?" She helps adjust my dress, buttoning up the back.

"He took me to his favorite place. Emilie, it was an enclosed pond and it was so beautiful."

Emilie gasps. "How romantic!"

"Yes well, he then preceded to tell me the princess of Astoan probably wasn't that pretty." I shake my head, then burst out laughing. "He said I was probably more beautiful than poor Athena."

Emilie giggles. "Poor clueless prince. What do you think he'll do when he finds out? He'll probably be so embarrassed."

I spin around to face Emilie. "No, he can't ever find out."

"Well, he's going to find out eventually, I don't think it's something you can avoid." Emilie replies. "But we don't have time to talked about that now, you're already late as it is."

"Right, of course. Thank you Emilie." I say before darting out of the room.

I enter the throne room, taking the seat next to my father. "Sorry, I'm late papa, Emilie had me wrapped up in conversation." I pause. "Not that it's her fault, I instigated the conversation."

Father squeezes my arm. "Don't worry dear, I know how you and Emilie are. I'm glad you two have remained friends after all this time. Besides your timing is perfect."

The double doors open and King Nicholas and Prince Philip were by escorted in by four knights. "Roland, it's good to see you old friend." Nicholas says as my father goes to greet him.

My father smiles. "Likewise Nicholas, I hope your trip was well."

I ignore their tedious conversation, glancing over at Philip. He was barely taller than his father. Bright blue eyes and light curly hair. He was incredibly good looking, it was almost shocking.

"I'm sure you remember my daughter, Athena." My father says, motioning for me to stand up. I listen, curtsying when I get to my feet.

"Of course Athena, you've grown. I remember when you were just a little baby." He says, prompting an uncomfortable smile from me.

My mother places a hand on my shoulder. "Athena, why don't you show Philip around while we discuss boring politics." Smooth mother, very smooth.

I force a pleasant smile. "I would love to." I say, glancing at Philip, who smiles back at me.

I walk out of the throne room, Philip hot on my heels. "I think the weather's nice enough for me to show you the garden first."

"That sounds like a wonderful choice." Philip says. His voice was way deeper than I anticipated. Wasn't he only nineteen?

I remain silent. I really didn't want to babysit him, I just wanted to be alone, preferably in the forest...with-

"I get the feeling you don't like me." Philip says, cutting off my thoughts. "I understand this is awkward for you, I mean it's awkward for me."

"Just because we're going to get married, doesn't mean we have to talk." I tell him shortly.

"Fine. Have it your way "

I take him through the castle and out to the garden. The weather was definitely beautiful. The sun was out with a cool breeze. Birds were chirping and bunnies were hopping out of one bush into another.

I watch as Philip observes all the flowers and trees that have grown here over the years. "We have a fountain also if you'd like to see." I say.

He glances at me, smiling when his gaze drops on me. "That's fine, I don't really like fountains."

Doesn't like fountains? Who is this guy? "Oh, I suppose you're the type who likes tea, quiet afternoons and poetry?" I say rather bitterly.

His eyes sparkle. "I don't mind tea, but I hate poetry." He laughs.

I hesitate. He hated poetry? I don't remember the last time I've met a prince who didn't like poetry. "I do too." I tell him awkwardly, continuing forward.

"Really? That interesting. I thought all princesses love fine writing."

I shake my head. "Not all."

Philip remains silent and for a moment I thought I was free from our uncomfortable conversation.

"I just want to help your father, I hope you can understand that." He says quietly.

I turn to face him, very annoyed with that statement. "Of course I can understand that, it's the only reason I'm marrying you in first place."

Philip narrows his eyes before grinning. "So it wasn't for my good looks?" He teases.

My jaw drops at the same time a small blush spread across my face. He was incredibly handsome. "I would never marrying someone just because of their looks. But let me tell you, it does sweeten the deal."

Philip laughs. "Thank you, I'm sure that was very hard for you to admit."

I narrow my eyes. "It was." I spin back around and continue walking.

"Ah come on, I was only teasing." He says. Philip sighs when Ignore him. "You determined to not like me, aren't you?"

This time I give him a smile, a real genuine one. "It's that obvious?"

"You have a really pretty smile, you know that?" Philip says.

"Just because we're getting married, doesn't mean you have to flirt with me." I roll my eyes at him.

"Really? That's a relief."

I study Philip for a moment. Perhaps I was being to hard on him, after he was being pushed into this too. I sigh deeply. "I'm going to show you the fountain, then I'll show you around inside." I say in my nicest voice.