Chapter Eleven

I spin around, holding my dress for the ball that was in a couple hours. It was beautiful blue, purple and white silk. It had a big flowy skirt, perfect for twirling.

The door opens, and who I believe was Emilie enters the room.

"You know now that the night is actually here, I'm pretty excited." I turn around, the dress twirling with me. I gasp. "Emilie, what happened?" A dark purple bruise formed under Emilie's left eye.

Emilie's lip quivers as a tear slips from her eye. "Julian he-"

There was a light knock on the door, cutting Emilie off. She goes to answer it.

Julian? Is that what she said? Julian hit her? But why would he do? My father's story comes to mind, when Julian threw a knife at a poor servant's head. But that couldn't quite possibly mean he hit Emilie. I mean why would he do that?

Julian enters the room, nodding at Emilie with a smile. Anger and hate swirls through me. How could he hit her and then smile at her like that? The scum. 

Emilie gives us both a smile. "I give you two some time alone." She says before exiting the room. I probably wouldn't want to be in the same room at my assaulter either.

"Did you need something Julian?" I ask coolly. "I'm quite busy."

He glances at the dress I had thrown on my bed. "I can imagine." He straightens. "But um, the reason I'm here is to apologize." He says.

I narrow my eyes. Apologize? What does he mean apologize. He's been nothing but gentlemanly towards me besides our awkward earlier but that wasn't fully his fault. Frankly he should be apologizing to Emilie. I force a smile. "Whatever for?" I say with a mock cheeriness.

"I didn't handle the situation earlier in the best way. I was disrespectful and you didn't deserve that. You were just trying to stay safe during a difficult time." He glances away nervously before turning back to me with an innocent look. "I understand now why you did what you did."

"Well that was big of you to admit." I say in an uninterested voice.

Julian frowns. "Yes, well I should go." He turns to leave but pauses. "I must ask first." He says turning back around. "My father...?"

I stiffen when he says that. I didn't want to talk about King Cyril, not now or ever.

"That's what I thought. He made you uncomfortable didn't he?"

"I don't want to talk about it now. You can leave now." I glance away from him.

"This wasn't your first encounter, was it?" Julian questions further.

I scoff. "Why don't you just leave? I'll even open the door for you." I walk past him but he catches my arm.

"Be honest with me, Athena please." I make eye contact with him. His beautiful grey eyes watched me intently. Goodness, if he asked me to jump off a cliff, one look into those eyes and I would do it.

"Before the war started, when you were over discussing the treaty, I ran into him in the hall, right outside of my room. He told me I would be a nice prize for Keditha if he ever caught me." I say quietly.

Julian tenses up. I could tell by his grip on my arm tightening slightly. "Athena, I'm so sorry."

"It's all in the past now, right?" I smile slightly.

"Yes but he still shouldn't have done that. I should talk to him." Julian moves towards the door, but this time I grab his arm.

"Please don't Julian. It will only make things worse."

Julian studies me. "I just worry about you sometimes." He says.

"I can take care of myself." I say, somewhat offended.

Julian laughs. "I know that Athi, I mean I've seen you navigate those forests. But that still doesn't mean I don't worry."

I pause. Athi? I never heard that before. "You worried about Amy. I'm Athena."

He shrugs. "Amy, Athena. Still the same person. One I care alot about. So much to tell you I don't like Philip."

I couldn't resist a smile. "You're just jealous." I tease him.

Julian moves closer. "Is that so bad?" He mumbles.

"I guess not." I say matching his tone. I  can't believe this was happening again. I was supposed to get married and here I am, flirting with another man. It's not like I love Philip but he deserves better than this.

Julian leans in so our faces were only inches apart. "Athena, may I-"

I don't let him finish, pressing my lips against his, drawing him into a passionate kiss.

The door opens, bringing our short lived kiss to an end. I shove Julian back before anyone enters.

"Am I interrupting anything?" Emilie questions, glancing between the two of us. 

"No Emilie. Julian was just leaving." I mentally kick myself. Here was a man that gave my best friend a black eye and I couldn't resist him. What was going on with me and Julian?

"Good, because I need to get you ready for the ball tonight. And we're running out of time." Emilie claps her hand to together. I could almost see the wheels turning in her head as she tries to figure out the perfect outfit.

"I'll see you tonight princess." Julian says, bowing. "Emilie." He smiles at her, receiving a smile in return but I couldn't tell if it was fake or not.

"Okay, so what did you two talk about?" Emilie asks after Julian left.

"Nothing important." I shrug at her question. "Will you tell me what happened to you?" I give her a frown.

"No time." She grabs my arm, spinning my back towards her so she can unbutton my dress. "Put that dress on while I figure out the ribbons and shoes."

"Emilie, you don't need to rush me. The ball isn't for another hour or half hour. We still have time."

Emilie turns to me, shocked. "That's barely enough time. I still have to do your hair, organize your outfit and would you please put on that dress already?" She snaps at me.

"Okay, I will. No need to get snippy with me." I say, pulling the dress over my head.

A half hour later, Emilie had me all ready to go, and she was right, we barely had enough time. By the time she put the last pin in my hair, Philip has arrived to escort me to the ballroom.

Emilie frowns at me before I leave. "Have a good time tonight Athena." She glances between me and Philip.

"I will Emilie, thank you."

Philip looks at me with a cheerful smile. "Ready?" He asks, offering my his arm.

I nod. "Of course."