Chapter Seventeen

Mother paces back and forth in father's room. "Why didn't he tell us!" She quietly yells.

I sigh deeply, holding papa's hand. "I'm too tired to be mad at him. I've already dealt with enough deceit." I say.

Mother ruffles my hair. "Rough week darling?" She asks.

I nod slowly, trying to blink away the tears that threatened to fall.

When I was told something happened to my father. I thought perhaps he fell and injured himself, not...this.

"How could your own father, my husband! Not tell us the fact he was dying?" Mother says, causing me to shush her.

"Please be quiet mother. Now might not be a good time to mention that considering we're in a war."

"Please Cyril most likely already knows, his oldest son was with you when you were told, wasn't he?" Mother ask, chin held high and hands behind her back.

"Yes, but he won't tell." I say.

"How can you be so sure?" She asks, taking a seat on the other side of the bed.

"I just am."

Mother sighs. "I should tell the others it's time for them to head home. I'll say your father isn't feeling and won't be able to discuss any business."

I nod, watching her leave. I glance at my father who still remained asleep. Mother was right, why didn't he tell us he was sick? I should've guessed it from the way he was acting lately but he just said he was tired and stressed. How could I not believe him? This is a very stressful time.

"You were right papa. I shouldn't have trusted him. I'm sorry for doubting you." I murmur. I squeeze my eyes shut, tears slipping down my cheeks. "It's just he was so kind and charming and after everything with Philip, I-I couldn't resist." I drop my head into my hands, sobbing.

"We all make mistakes dear, what's important is that we move past them." Father says weakly. He reaches up to pull my hands from my face.

"You're awake!" I half laugh. "How do you feel?"

Father smiles. "Sick." He laughs, but it quickly turns into coughing. "Where's your mother?" He asks.

"She went to tell our quests they can head home, considering your condition." I squeeze his hand tightly.

Father nods, attempting to sit up. "So tell me dear, what did those immature boys do?"

I shrug, frowning. "Philip... well he isn't very nice. He tried to say he owned me. And Julian, that one is still raw."

Father doesn't reply, only stares across the room. After a couple moments, he finally speaks up. "They didn't hurt you did they?" He asks.

"No father, I'm fine. I'm more worried about you right now."

"Are you sure? I can always-"

I cut him off, raising my hand like he does. He smiled at that. "Let's talk about something different. Perhaps I could read to you?" I suggest.

Father laughs. "Don't tease me Athena, I know you hate reading."

I shrug. "I was just trying to help." I glance around the dark room, a sudden thought coming to mind. "Father... I don't think Cyril wants to discuss the treaty." I say.

"I assumed, after you talked about Julian. Once I get back on my feet, I kill him...I kill both of them." Father shakes his head, almost laughing.

"Papa, I'm sorry I didn't trust you. I just thought... Well he was so kind and handsome, compared to Philip." 

Father frowns. "It's all in the past dear. But someday, I would like to hear about what they did."

I inhale sharply, feeling embarrassed. "You will papa. Just give me time."

My father coughs in his handkerchief. "Time is something I may not have Athena." He frowns, looking away. "Which means we need to discuss your future as ruler of Astoan."

I stiffen. This was too soon. Way too soon. Papa still had many years left, and I haven't learned everything I needed. "Don't talk like that papa, you have plenty of time." I force a smile and cheery voice.

"Athena, listen please. When I'm gone and I'm not saying it'll be soon but when I do die, there's going to be alot of uproar in other countries, possibly in our own. You need to be ready for that."

I squeeze his hand tightly. "I understand papa, plus I'll have mother to help me."

"Yes, I know. But at some point you won't have your mother to look for help, you'll have to go at it alone."

I glance away, not wanting him to see me cry. "I know but... You're right. Papa, I know I'm ready to rule this kingdom, but I-i'm not ready to lose you." I say. No matter how hard I tried, the tears didn't stop from falling.

Mother enters the room, looking frustrated. "Well, I told our guests it was time for them to leave. It was more than tiring." She sighs, dropping into the seat next to me.

Father smiles warmly at her. "I'm always thankful for you, dear Adelaide." He says.

Mother's hard exterior softens a bit. "You're welcome Roland. I'm just happy that the party is over and everyone's leaving. Now I can just focus on my family." She says.

"Athena and I were just discussing her future as Queen." Father says, gesturing to me.

Mother squeezes my arm, smiling happily at me. "I'm sure she'll be a wonderful ruler, plus she'll have Philip to help her." Mother says.

Father clears his throat awkwardly. "Actually Adelaide, there's been a change. Athena, may I talk to your mother in private?"

"Of course!" I say happily, racing to the door as fast as I could. I curtsy before leaving the room. Once I close the door behind me. I start jumping happily.

Hopefully this meant father would call off the wedding. I pray that he will. Lord please please please.

I rush to my room hopefully to find Emilie there. On my way, I bump into Brynjar.

"Princess Athena." Brynjar bows. "Where are you going in such a hurry" he asks.

"My room, I needed to talk to Emilie."

Brynjar raises an eyebrow. "Emilie...? Well nevermind that, I hope your father is doing alright."

"He is, thank you. And I hope you haven't told anyone about this." I say, holding my hands behind my back. Hoping to look as intimidating as my mother did but I was much shorter than her.

"My lips are sealed." Brynjar smiles, holding a finger to his mouth. "We're leaving early by your mother's request but I suppose you already knew that." Brynjar says.

"I do. I'll be happy once Julian leaves." I unfortunately meant it. I can't believe I thought he actually loved me. Why was I too trusting? It only ended with me being manipulated and hurt, physically or emotionally.

"I apologize for my brother's behavior, he's just... Honestly I don't know what's wrong with him." Brynjar shrugs.

"It's fine. I'm just thankful the truth is out instead of him dragging me on." No matter how much it hurt...

Brynjar bows again. "Well Princess, I should continue preparing for our trip home. Do take care." He says.

I nod in agreement, heading back to my room where I found Emilie and told her about everything my father said.