CHAPTER 4: COMPETITION

I TWISTED THE DOOR KNOB , as the door creaked open. I yawned quietly, covering my mouth. 'I'll get some water, then I'll sleep.'

I thought inwardly, walking down the corridor towards the kitchen. I assumed it was midnight already from the skies, the night skies never failed to amaze me.

Arriving at the kitchen, I flicked the switch as the lights immediately opened. I grabbed a glass and poured water inside it,

After, I returned to my chambers yet I was now fully awake. 'This might take awhile for me to get sleepy again,' A evident frown made it's way to my lips, as I pushed the balcony doors open.

I sat on a chair, admiring how the stars sparkled in the dark skies. A gentle breeze caressing my pale skin, midnight was probably the most peaceful time for me.

My darted towards the connected garden between mine and Eros's palace, a figure with a dark hooded cloak walking away from brother's palace. They glanced around their surroundings, our gazes meeting for a split second.

A glimpse of dark blue hair, 'It couldn't be,' I pressed my lips together, my brows knitting together in confusion. I decided that was enough for the night, and it's time to go back to sleep.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

FATHER SUMMONED ME FOR A PRIVATE AUDIENCE, which got me curious as to the reason why he needs to talk to me. I decorated my hair with exquisite hair clips, as I already changed into a dress.

This was a normal routine for me, to look presentable always. The main palace was quite a long walk from mine, so it might take awhile.

The tall mahogany doors opened, as it revealed the throne room. I entered slowly, before bowing. "I greet the Sun of the Empire, His Majesty The Emperor."

"You may rise, Asteria." I interlaced my hands together, awaiting what he has to say. "Let's wait for your brother,"

I nodded, just after a few minutes Eros entered proudly. Greeting father, before standing beside me. "What brings us today here, Your Majesty?" Eros questioned,

"I'd just like to ask my children about their wellbeing." Father explained, with a small smile. "How is your studies at the academy, Asteria?"

"It's going well, Your Majesty. Though I am currently on break," I responded, the Academy in Azareah was quite basic but with the company of certain people I enjoyed it. "That's great, don't overwork yourself. I'm quite familiar of your habits to do so,"

'All this fake concern sickens me..' I restrained myself from frowning, and kept a neutral expression. "Asteria,"

"Yes, Your Majesty?" Father crossed his arms, heaving a quiet sigh. "Do you not have any plans for marriage? Your younger brother is yet to be engaged. Why are you still aren't?"

I closed my eyes, of course he didn't genuinely care about me. 'Marriage, marriage.' Is what always seems to come out of their mouths. I maintained a blank expression as I replied shortly after.

"I'm afraid not, Your Majesty. I've got a lot of tasks I have yet to finish, and it seems it'd be better for me if I remain unmarried." I fold my arms across my chest, biting my inner lip lightly, "Asteria, It's about time you marry someone. What would the citizens think if your younger brother got wed before you?"