CHAPTER 12: WAR

THREE YEARS PASSED, there was many changes that they had undergo. A war broke out with a neighboring empire, bringing the Vasilios empire into a state of chaos.

Majority of the nobles were full of greed ; selfishness and a undeniable thirst for power. That was who they are. Purposely sugar-coating compliments that was actually a insult to each other. They turned a blind-eye to the people pleading them for help.

Commoners pleading those who are powerful, to lend a bit of their resources to them. Those who lived in poverty couldn't do anything, and watch themselves fall into a deeper hole of despair once the war broke out.

Asteria walked down the corridors, her deep hue of golden irises sharply stared at anything in her way. Ariella, The empress summoned her to join the council meeting along with the other nobles.

The princess's mind was a mess, the empire was in turmoil. The commoners at the border were in a much more dangerous state than most, or the people who lived their lives there.

Asteria had various thoughts, running through her mind. Be it her plans to make her empire the victorious one or her concern for the people at the border.

Eva followed closely behind the princess, as they arrived at the meeting halls. Apparently, almost everyone has arrived except for her. Eva twisted the door-knob, opening the door.

"Greetings, princess." They greeted, as Asteria cast them a brief nod before taking her rightful seat beside the empress. The emperor was on the other side of Her Majesty, along with Eros.

"Let us start the meeting." The emperor spoke, as they all nodded. The nobles present started questioning, their concern over their own safety or suggestions on how to handle the war.

The meeting was close to end, as Ariella cast a glance at her daughter. Right before this day, the mother and daughter had spoken to each other. The empress whispered to her secretary for a moment, as the secretary scurried away swiftly before returning with a folder.

"Asteria, here is the reports you requested." Ariella whispered lowly, lending the folder to the princess. Asteria nodded and accepted, skimming through it's contents quickly.

"Any more questions?" The Emperor asked, whilst Asteria raised her hand. Her father, gave her a brief glimpse before beckoning for her to speak. "What is your concern, princess?"

"The people near the border." Asteria retorted, maintaining a serious yet softened expression. "What are we going to do with their situation?"

"They've fallen into a pit where only us can help. I hereby suggest we lend them our resources and tighten security around the empire and at the border." Asteria quipped, placing her hands on her lap.

"Don't fret about them, Asteria. I have already stationed knights at the border," The emperor responded, as Asteria pursed her lips solemnly. "And what about lending resources?"

"Allow me to interrupt, princess. Our resources are deteriorating at quite the fast pace, we barely have enough to feed the people in the capital." Marchioness Sherlaine interrupted, glancing at Asteria. Inwardly, Sherlaine was judging Asteria.

And the princess knew that herself. "It would be a waste of resources." The marchioness continued, as Asteria lightly slammed the folder on the table which startled the others.

"They are citizens of the Empire of Vasilios, there is no such thing as a waste to lending resources to those who are in need. But if you insist, then I'll be the one lending materials from my own palace." Asteria suddenly declared, with a small grin tugging upon her lips. Rosaria palace, was said to be the richest in materials rather than the main one. The budget on that palace wasn't lavishly spent too. "I've plenty to give."