Chapter 18

"Oh my gosh, I already hate this," I muttered as I stared up through the window in the back of the limo at a large neon sign with the word, Snacks, written in bold. Carter had set up a place for us to get dinner, and with a name like Snacks, I immediately agreed, because who doesn't love snacks? Right? WRONG! It turned out, Snacks was the name of a nightclub and the LAST thing I had in mind when it came to a good time.

But before I could say a word, the door to my passenger's seat was pulled open and dozens of cameras were in my face, flashing wildly. A hand reached down to help me out. "Lalania?"

It took a lot of effort not to correct the blurry person standing before me. But I didn't think that would be the BEST way to start a fake first date. After several blinks, Carter's face came into view. He smiled at me shyly, seeming oblivious to the paparazzi's cameras that were vying for his attention.

"CARTER!" they shouted, above the flashes. "Who's she?" "Is she your girlfriend?"

Carter rubbed the back of his neck, his ringed fingers glistening in the camera's lights. He blushed as he raised a brow, his emerald green eyes looking sheepish as he tossed me a boyish grin. "Sorry about the cameras."

"This is normal?" I asked, glancing at the chaos only a few feet away.

He laughed, the sound light and airy. "Annoyingly, yes." Then he motioned for me to follow him inside. I glanced over my shoulder and spotted Aiden working as my shadow, following behind.

As soon as we passed the bouncer who blocked the paparazzi from following us inside, I wanted to turn around and run back towards the cameras. The nightclub was filled with bodies. People packed onto the dance floor like it was the end of the world, and they needed to dance for their survival.

The lights were dim, the place was a swirl of neon and glittery tops. The dizzying smell of perfume, sweat, and alcohol filled my nostrils.

"Want something to drink?" Carter shouted over the thumping of the techno music. We stood awkwardly against the wall next to the dance floor.

I shook my head. "I thought we were going out for food!" I shouted back. I was suddenly craving pizza bites.

He rolled his eyes playfully. "They have food here. Hence the name 'Snacks,' he said with quotation marks. "We'll get you something at the bar. Come on."

He reached for my hand to keep us together as we squeezed past bodies on the dancefloor, heading towards the bar.

I stuck out like a sore thumb in my baby blue shirt dress held in with a sparkly belt, lacy white tights, and bright red flats. I had dressed for a comfy evening of casual food. But everyone else got the memo that they were going to a nightclub and wore dark clothes that were skin tight and sparkly like a disco ball that matched their smokey makeup. Like creatures of the night that had an obsessive love of all things sparkly.

I wore my hair down in gentle curls, and was thankful for that choice, hiding behind it in embarrassment as people turned to stare at Carter, surprise registering on their faces when they spotted my hand in his.

Open stares turned to whispers and as soon as we reached the bar, I snatched my hand free, not enjoying the sudden change in the air. I heard Carter chuckle next to me. "Don't turn around." But of course like the idiot that I was, I chanced a peek over my shoulder.

Dozens of girls stood glaring at me. Daggers for pupils as they looked from me, to Carter. I whirled around, heart hammering wildly as I stared at the bartop. What the hell? They turned evil fast!

Carter laughed. "You'll have to forgive them. My fans can get a little..." He waved a hand when he ran out of words.

"Crazy?" I finished.