Chapter 34

Have you ever felt like the clouds opened up and lowered a gift out into your waiting arms? Like have you ever wanted something, and I mean REALLY wanted something to the deepest part of yourself. Wanted it so deeply that it terrified you and all of a sudden it was yours? That is what it felt like having Aiden look at me and dare me to ask him anything I wanted.

It was like a genie had been dropped into my lap granting me three wishes. The only difference besides the actual magic part, was how many questions would Aiden let me ask him before he decided he was done?

I placed my hand on my hip and stared up at him, combing through the thousands of questions I had. Why didn't you say goodbye? Do you really not remember kissing me? Why did you walk into that restaurant and sit down, throwing yourself into my stupid drama? Why are you here at all? Why can't I seem to get you out of my head? 

But I ignored them all and started with what I needed to know first. "Are you okay?"

The question seemed to throw him off. He looked confused like no one had ever asked him that before. Like the question about his physical or emotional well-being was so foreign that he had to process it for a moment because it was a brand new question to him.

"Yes," he answered after a long pause.

"Aiden... I swear if you are secretly ill, or are dying because you dove into that water to save me, you better tell me now because you are freaking me out by how nice you are being."

He blinked, and to my surprise, started laughing, his rich voice filling the room with light.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

He ran his fingers through his hair, smiling. "Sorry. I am just not good at..." he waved his hand between us. "This."

I cocked my head to the side. "Communicating like a human?"

He shook his head. "No. Being normal. It's weird being here with you without having a job to do."

"So you are okay? You aren't hurt?" I pressed.

He shook his head, his eyes gentle. "No." Then after a pause. "I'm sorry for scaring you."

"You better be," I muttered. "You lose consciousness on my bed, cover it in blood, forget what happened, and then disappear for a week." The words flew out of my mouth before I could stop them. Something I should get a trophy for. It happens without fail. And the winner for never shutting up when she should goes to... LALIANA SUMMERS! Cue crowd cheering for the obvious winner.

I turned and darted out of the exhibit and found myself standing in an art gallery. It was a dead end, leaving me with zero chance to get away from Aiden if he picked up on my little 'hey dude, you forgot something that happened in that hotel room, comment.'

"Summers," Aiden said behind me. The sound of my name on his lips was hesitant but that did little to keep a shiver from running up my spine.

I steeled myself before turning around. "Yes."

"You mentioned something about me forgetting—"

"Nope. I get to ask the questions," I countered. He tensed his jaw but didn't protest.

I took in the room filled with paintings of ships trying to survive storms, animals resting in grassy fields, flowers reaching toward sunshine, and women posing in nothing but silk sheets. After a moment I finally landing on my next question.

"So why bodyguarding?"

"It's a good job," he replied vaguely. Gee... so talkative.

"Come on, this isn't an interrogation. It's a conversation. Give me something," I pressed.