Chapter 8

24 to 20, it would only take one more point, and Karasuno would win. You were eagerly anticipating the win, if only to rub it in Oikawa's face later. You watch as Oikawa finishes warming up before trading places with the current setter. He was up to serve. Damnit, if they can't receive his serves, we're going to lose.

The force of Oikawa's serve hits Tsukishima; he wasn't prepared for it at all. It bounced off of the blonde's arm, hitting the rail up top where the spectators were. Your brows were furrowed as you saw the intensity of the ball. Oikawa was putting a lot of strength into his serve.

"Yeah, that's what I thought." Oikawa says aloud, hand on hip. "You two: Number 5 and Number 6. You're bad at receiving. I'm a bit surprised, I thought (N/n)-chan would have helped you two with that. Then again, not just anyone can handle my serves."

Sugawara looks down at you, now filled with worry as he sees the look on your face. Both of you knew that Oikawa had a greater momentum and ball control than Kageyama did. You knew his moves better than anyone, having seen him continuously improve through the videos and interactions. You had spent time analyzing, learning how to receive one of his serves—it eventually paid off when Hisamitsu went to Nationals. Still, though, no female opponents could easily replicate his technique and strength, along with his stamina. You, yourself, had only been successful if you placed your all into it.

Oikawa goes again, another excellent serve that hits Tsukishima's arm. With his level of control, he could easily target those with weak receiving skills and claim the match.

"Tsukki!" Yamaguchi cries from the sideline, distressed to see his friend suffering.

"Hey, Great King!" Hinata calls out, drawing the attention of Oikawa. "Aim for me! I can take it! Target me!"

What is he doing? He can certainly not take it. You think to yourself. Oikawa was amused at the attention, the newbie was overconfident,

"Stop hollering, it's undignified!" Tsukishima chastises, not wanting to have Hinata embarrass him and the team—but mostly him.

"The thing about volleyball is everyone on this side of the net is your ally!" Hinata responds.

"Wise words, who could have said?" Tanaka asks, happy to have the first-year quote him.

"Alright, let's fall back as a group." Daichi orders. "Tsukishima, stand closer to the sideline."

Oikawa could see what the captain was doing: he was expanding the ground he would defend on.

"Unfortunately, one person can't solely defend the court!" Oikawa does another jump-serve, aiming for Tsukishima again. The blonde is able to receive it, effectively keeping the ball in the air. Though not coordinated, it soon ended up being a chance ball for Seijou. You scrunch your nose as Oikawa easily bumps it to Yahaba so he can set it for Kindaichi.

"Ready!" Kindaichi says, expecting to spike quickly with no one there. However, nothing goes according to what the first-year had thought. Hinata, quick on his feet, is able to tap the ball, giving Karasuno a chance. It gives Kageyama and Hinata the perfect opportunity to do their special attack, leaving Oikawa in shock as the ball is spiked near him. You couldn't help but smile at the look on his face before cheering for the boys. They had done it; they secured the 25th point—Karasuno had won against one of the top four schools.

"Yeah!" Tanaka roars.

"Let's line up!" Daichi orders. You look over at Takeda, spotting how he was stunned.

"Are you alright, sir?" You ask.

"That was amazing." Takeda whispers, still in awe.

"Oh that's right, this is your first time seeing Hinata and Kageyama's attack. Isn't it incredible, sensei?"