Chapter 13

"This photo is huge!" Nishinoya comments, clutching the magazine. Heading over to where some of the boys were gathered, you tilt your head as you see them reading a magazine about volleyball.

"Let me see." Asahi leans over, looking at whatever Nishinoya was. "Woah!"

"I want to see." Hinata chimes. Tanaka hands him over the magazine, and you peer over to read the contents of the magazine that had everyone so invested.

"Shiratorizawa? Isn't that the school that turned down Kageyama?"

"Shut up!"

"But who's Ushiwaka?"

Taking the magazine from him, you inspect it. "Ushijima Wakatoshi-san. I believe he's the number one ace in the prefecture, but I could be wrong."

"Do you know him, (Y/n)-senpai?" Kageyama asks, looking down at your small frame.

"Hai. We were close as children, but grew apart once I moved away. I haven't spoken to him in ages, but I'm glad to see he's doing so well."

There was a unified sigh of relief once they heard you say that. It would have been nerve-racking to know if you were close to the number one ace in the prefecture.

"So you were just childhood friends? That's it?" Sugawara asks, looking up at you from his seated position on the floor.

"Pretty much. I mean, he did get me into volleyball so I practically owe him the start of my career. But besides that, we were just childhood friends."

Daichi looms over, looking at the magazine as well. "Now this is what an ace looks like."

Everyone but you turns over to look at Asahi. "H-Hey, why are you looking at me?"

The poor third-year did not deserve this and turned around to face away from everyone. Nishinoya gave him sympathetic pats on the back as you took the magazine from Hinata to read about Ushijima. You didn't keep up with the male volleyball players, initially having only focused on who your team opponents were. Not to mention you weren't a fan of reading the magazines that had you in them. Seeing yourself in photos made you uncomfortable.

"Shiratorizawa isn't the only one you need to keep an eye out for." Keishin comes in, unfolding the piece of paper from his pocket. "There are other opponents that'll come before them, so focus on those. Wakutani South has excellent defense and strong solidarity. Date Tech, known for their 'Iron Wall.' Isn't that the school that you all lost to 2-0 in the Prefectural Public Tournament in March?"

"In any case, Date Tech was considered to be within the top four until they lost to Shiratorizawa. That's why they aren't seeded this year. Because of that, there's the possibility we could be paired up against them in the first round. Then there's also Aoba Johsai, with their setter Oikawa Tooru."

You pout slightly and turn away, shoving your hands into your pockets. Though your last encounter had been somewhat enjoyable, there was no denying that the next time you two met that he wouldn't step on your toes. Tanaka was equally irritated, knowing how the setter had unabashedly flirted with you in front of everyone, even asking you out on a date with a crowd.

"Last but not least, Shiratorizawa with their ace Ushijima Wakatoshi. Those are about it; I'll explain more later on. That being said, if you keep staring at the top, you'll get the rug pulled out from underneath you. No team goes there to lose, so make sure they never call us the 'Flightless Crows' ever again. Got it?"

"Osu!" The team says in unison.

"You're all still here? Sorry I'm late!" Takeda bursts in, holding a piece of paper in his hand. "I was stuck in a meeting...but anyway. I have the pairings for the tournament!"