Chapter 4

It was a struggle to leave the house without Kiyoko knowing. The girl was a light sleeper, so leaving your shared room without making a noise was hard. Every creak felt like you were stomping and when you made your way to the bathroom, the sink sounded like a waterfall. You had to tell your aunt what you were up to, not wanting her to freak out that you were missing and break into every single house to ask for your whereabouts. The woman was a saint, making your bento boxes at night instead of the morning and leaving your breakfast out so you wouldn't need to cook. The woman had even gone as far as to make up a lie if Kiyoko asked: something about you needing to check one of the stores for a shipment of anime body pillows. Embarrassing, but believable. Dignity could be lost if it meant helping the first-years. What kind of manager would you be if you didn't dedicate the time to help?

Walking towards the gym, you brush your fingers through your hair as you tie it up. Doing anything else this early would be torture for you.

"(Y/n)-san~" Tanaka sings as he walks next to you. Humming tiredly, you greet him with a wave as you yawn.

"How are you Ryuu-san?" You ask. The boy almost has a nose-bleed as you greet him by his first name. He honestly didn't think you would after he suggested. Kiyoko had completely rejected him when he had asked her to do so. Hearing you say it sounded like bells.

"I-I'm fine, thank you." You were so cute. It was so early, that you hadn't even bothered to ask why he was here too.

"Say, what are you doing here?" Tanaka asks.

"Oh, Kageyama-san asked me to come to help his friend with his receives."

"What? How—How dare he! You shouldn't have to wake up so early to help these kids. You should be at home resting and getting a few more hours of sleep!"

Shrugging, you tighten your ponytail. "It's fine. I want to help the new members, even though they're not a part of the team yet. I've heard about Kageyama and his plays and I'm rooting for him, both actually."

Tanaka's heart exploded. Here you were, dedicating your time (which should have been spent sleeping because yes) here at 5 am to help two students who couldn't get along. You were a saint in his eyes. That halo around your head was surely real and not just a figment of his imagination from a lack of sleep.

"It's locked." You hear Hinata say as you and Tanaka turn the corner of the gym.

"Look for a window we can crawl through then," Kageyama tells him. A door would not stop him from practicing.

"We'll get in so much trouble if we're spotted!"

"It's too early to argue." You whine as you yawn once more.

"Oh!" Hinata almost looks embarrassed to be caught by the second-years. This was not the kind of impression he wanted to make, especially with you here.

Tanaka whips out the keys from his pocket and swings them. Oh, so that's why he's here. Damn bro, you a real one. You think as the two boys gush to know that their senpais were here to save the day.

"I'm a great senpai aren't I?" Tanaka asks. He wanted to hear the praises of the underclassmen, of course. "Call me senpai!"

"Tanaka-senpai!" The two shout and you chuckle at their antics.

"Let's get inside, hm? It's cold out here." You say, zipping up your jacket that had Hisamtsu written on the back.

"O-Of course! I wouldn't want you to get cold, (Y/n)-san!" Tanaka shouts before opening the door. The four of you walk in and you look towards Hinata.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Shimizu (Y/n), but please call me (Y/n)." Bowing, the gingered-hair boy smiles back.

"I'm Shoyo Hinata, a first-year. I hope to have a great year with you as a manager, (Y/n)-san!" He clenches his fist and cheers and you do the same.