Time of Pharaohs

"Um, what just happened?" Cameron asked. "Are we really where I think we are?"

"Yes, I am sorry to do that to you so suddenly, but we can't get captured by Horatio again," Imhotep says urgently. "If we let Horatio get these ankhs back, he'll be able to take us to his time and close the time rift. We'll be trapped in the 1820s and not be able to get back!"

Melanie put her hands on her hips. "Okay, Imhotel-"

"Imhotep!" the cat said.

Melanie continued. "Okay, Imhotep, you need to explain what is going on. Start at the beginning. What is the time rift? Who is Horatio? How did you meet him, and why does he want you?"

"Also, why am I wearing Egyptian clothes?" Cameron asked. He was wearing a skirt, no shirt and sandals, while Melanie was wearing a kalasiris, a long, linen dress with sandals.

"Let me start at the beginning. A time rift is a weakness in space and time, and it allows people to travel between places and times. These Ankhs are time rifts. There are other time rifts, and the museum in your hometown happens to be FILLED with them. Horatio, your ancestor, founded that museum."

"Woah, I never knew that," Melanie said.

"Yes, I imagine your family keeps their connection to him a secret because your ancestor, Horatio, was not a good man. He owned slaves, and he stole priceless artifacts from all around the world. Hes a bad man, but one of the richest people in the United States at his time.

"He began collecting artifacts to learn about magic. He had seen some magic when he was a child growing up in the Scottish Highlands. He was determined to learn about it, and at some point he found the ancient grimoire, the Principia Magica. Thats where he learned about the time rifts.

"His plan is to take you guys to his time, the early 1800s, and use your knowledge of the modern world to build new technologies. Because you guys are his descendents, you look enough like him he can pass you off as his own children. His plan is to get you and some science books from your time and have you create inventions so he can become the richest man in the world in his time."

"Okay, but how do you know all of this?" Cameron asked.

"Because I helped him come up with the plan," Imhotep explained sheepishly. "See, he found a time rift, in this case, a Roman coin with the face of an Emperor named Vespasian. He used an ancient text from Roman times and was able to exploit the coin. But he couldn't control it, and instead of going to Roman times, he went to my time. He tried to kidnap me!

"I was a normal person then, I wasn't a cat. I was a priest of the sun god Ra. He was able to change me into a cat using a spell he learned from the Principia Magica. He told me he would remove the curse if I helped him get back to his time with more treasures, but instead, I suggested he go to the future and find some technology from the 21st century. So I helped him with his plan, and I helped him get here now.

"But he's far more dangerous than I had guessed. And we need to keep moving, it's only a matter of time before Horatio MacManus figures out where we went and finds us here."

"Wow, that is a lot," Melanie said.

"Okay, but where, and I guess more importantly, when is this?" asked Cameron.

"Well, this is Thebes, in front of the temple of Luxor, and we're in the New Kingdom of Egypt," Imhotep explained. "Well, it was called 'new' then. This is 3400 years before your time. This temple is ancient in your time, but was only finished in the last year at this time."

"Wow, I guess I never realized that they painted these ancient columns and sculptures, Melanie said, as she admired the amazing colorful temple before her.

"Yeah, all the ancient stuff was painted. I think most people don't know that. In your time."

"Can we see the Great Pyramid at Giza? Has that been built yet?" asked Cameron.

"Yes, it has. The Great Pyramid is already ancient at this time. Even now, it is already 1200 years old."

"That is absolutely insane," said Cameron.

"I can't even imagine," said Melanie. "So, um, what's next?"

"Well, take a look at your ankhs," Imhotep said. "See the markings along the edges and on the surface? Those hieroglyphs are the key to travelling to different times. And while I know some hieroglyphs, the priest of this temple can explain how to interpret those and use them to travel through time and space."

They entered the temple. There were huge statues of pharaohs, priests and various other leaders throughout, and a large number of monuments to the gods. Imhotep led them deep into the complex to a room where a very slender man with a long beard sat on the floor in front of many carved tablets.

Imhotep greeted the man and the man was not shocked to see a talking cat. It turned out they already knew each other. "I've solved your riddle, Imhotep, I have deciphered the symbols on the ankhs. Oh, hello, my name is Ben Amun Ket, I am the high priest here at Luxor."

The priest explained a bit about the hieroglyphs. Melanie and Cameron didn't understand most, or even much, of it, but they nodded along politely. Imhotep really did seem to understand, and after an hour or so, he seemed ready to try to use the Ankhs. "Thank you so much, Ben Amun Ket! Here is a token of my gratitude." Imhotep handed Ben Amun Ket a chocolate bar and a snow globe from the museum gift shop.

"Wow, this is delicious!" said the priest as he munched on the chocolate and played with the snow globe. "Safe journeys! See you again! Bring me more chocklit."

They were just about to leave when Horatio MacManus walked into the temple. Melanie and Cameron didn't know what he looked like, so they just thought it was a regular man. But Imhotep recognized him. He changed his clothes because he had travelled through time.

Imhotep dragged Melanie and Cameron away and hissed, "That's Horatio MacManus! He somehow knew where we were!"

"Oh my god, that is so creepy," Cameron said.

"We need to run away!" Melanie cried. They all ran out of the temple and used the hieroglyphs to go back to the museum. In a flash, they found themselves in their regular clothes, standing in front of a glass case with an Egyptian coffin inside.

"I guess we're safe now, said Cameron. "Follow me, I want to check out the stone-age stuff in this section." Their clothes were back to normal.

Cameron and Melanie started walking and Imhotep chased after. He didn't scream because he didnt want to attract attention to the crowded museum, but Imhotep really didn't want them to go that way. He wanted to take them into a safer wing.