05 ♛

EMERALD GONZALES.

baseball.

"i bet 1,000 dollars on yankees tonight. they for sure will win without a doubt and take the baseball field by storm, leaving dodgers to eat dust at the stadium," i hear niall's perfect american, new york accent specifically, booms in the car irritating someone from the team. a huff from another member of the jewel soon follows.

"oh you wish your wannabe new yorker arse will win huh? dodgers have been reigning in the football league, i'll bet double," zemira remarks.

"you're really that confident, ruby?" niall immediately taunts, calling zemira with her gemstone code name we always use in every heist.

"you're hands are shaking, i'm pretty sure you're nervous because you'll lose 2,000 dollars tonight," zemira smugly replies.

with that, niall laughs. "2,000 is nothing to me. let's make it 5,000 dollars and whoever wins, will have to do what the winner asks them to do for a week."

"oh, can't wait to make you my slave for a week then."

"anyone want to place bets as well? any opinion on who will win?" onyx, perry behind the wheel beside me butts in.

"the yankees are lethal, but the dodgers are unmatched in their versatility and depth on the position-player side," atticus informs and soon, a mixed cheer and gasp takes over the atmosphere.

"what the fuck? whose side are you on, mate?" niall asks in unbelief.

"hell yeah! dodgers for the win!" zemira continues to cheer.

"what?! don't blame me, that's according to espn's article!" atticus defends.

"no, that's practically bullshit! why would we believe in that one article alone? yankees have been—"

"SAPPHIRE!"

i did not let niall finish his rant and cut him off, calling him on his gemstone code name, indicating my seriousness. we only use gemstone code names when we are in a serious meeting or during a heist.

"diamond and ruby too," i sigh, pertaining to atticus and zemira.

"can you all shut up and set aside talking about baseball huh? we have a heist to finish, and a plane to catch afterwards, so let's focus on that first, yeah?"

everyone quiets down and soon i can feel the awkward tension in the air.

"i'm sorry, emerald," niall quietly apologised, using my gemstone code name and real name.

"you know we can never be too sure that everything's going to run smoothly in every heist so we have to make sure to always be focused in executing our plan, and make sure we get what we aim to rob. it's my responsibility too to not let a single one of you get hurt, because it should always be me who should shoulder everything, and get you out in the scene safely if shit goes wrong. so we can't be distracted right now, you all understand that right?" i calmly explained, rubbing my temples with my forefinger in the process.

"you know we won't leave you if shit really goes downhill, emerald. we fight with you," davina speaks up for the first time since we got in the car.

"i don't have anything to lose and you all have something to lose, so it will always be me. you know how this works, topaz," i reply to davina, resting my head on the window.

"as if i will let you be on your own," niall butts in quietly and i did not miss it.

"sapphire," i warn.

"emerald," niall mocks challengingly.

"don't get me started, blue eyes."

"ugh, emerald why are you always so serious the damn time?" perry speaks up again.