Occam's Razor

The bus ride was not ideal, in fact, it might've been the worst part of this whole trip (if you could even believe that). Senku had seemingly hit his threshold on social interaction at the cafe, which was hard to believe because thirty minutes ago you couldn't get him to shut up. He simply got up from the booth and left, leaving you a bit bewildered. 'D...Do I follow him? Is he going to the bathro- oh! Oh he just went out the front-' You scrambled to get your luggage and follow behind. One excruciating walk to a poorly lit bus stop later, he still hadn't said a word. You both looked like actual hell, curled up underneath his umbrella. You caked in mud and hair in complete disrepair, Senku the spitting image of the mad scientist from Frankenstein. Parts of his hair had flattened and drooped from the rain in front of his face, his labored breath from the walk causing them to swing in front of his eyes. You got a good look before his eyes darted down towards you, probably being able to feel your stare. You looked down at your shoes. If you were any more awake, being this close to ANYONE would be enough to make your heartbeat against your chest. But your body simply did not have the energy to be anxious. 

Every step made a squish, making you finally register the mess your muddied shoes probably tracked inside of that cute little cafe. That's probably why she brought you a towel and you probably made a complete ass out of yourself. Just a sweet old lady trying to save her nice clear floors from your clumsy muddy foreign shoes. But yet again, you were too tired to be embarrassed. When the bus finally arrived Senku didn't even bother sitting next to you, which struck you odd as the seats were so tall that you wouldn't be able to see when he got off without really leaning over. You sat down before him and for some bizarre reason, he just sat somewhere at the front, which just made you even more confused. Thankfully in the reflection of the window, you could kind of see his hair peak over, which made you feel a bit more at ease. You two were the only two on the bus, why did he need to sit all the way up there? Why was he avoiding you, did you say or do something wrong? Whatever it was you were too tired to even start to pick at it, your meal of herbal tea and stew was sloshing inside you making you fall prey to your sleepiness. To add insult to injury the bus driver must've been on some sort of substance, the way he was driving. As soon as he took off you felt like if you didn't hold on you might've found yourself headfirst into the front window. You even bumped your head on the window a couple of times as you drifted in and out of sleep, a little brain damage was fine at this point. You just wanted to catch a quick nap.

"Yo." Your eyes snapped open as Senku stood in the seat in front of you, leaning over to get your attention. It felt like he'd been poking you as your forehead felt a bit tender, "Huh? Oh, are we here?" You yawned and looked out the window and spotted the white paint of the house from behind the trees. "Welcome to Jena." As you both walked up the driveway, you admired the architecture. The outer walls were a cream-white color, complemented by a warm reddish-brown room and window accents that you could barely make out in the darkness. The windows were rounded, it was worn but inviting, like a cottage you'd find in the woods. The entrance was almost like a patio, where a couple of dead plants and glass science tubes sat on an old table. The light was left on coloring the two of you in its white blinding sheen. Senku pulled his keys out of his pocket, it almost looked like the keys of a janitor there were so many, "Take your shoes off, we'll hose them off later. I guess you cant leave your trunk of clothes out here. Hm. Take it inside but, make sure you don't drip any of it on the floors." You faintly remembered him talking about the chemical spill incident and wondered why even bother with mud at that point, but decided not to poke him anymore tonight. As you were taking off your shoes you noticed two pairs of shoes outside of yours. One was a pair of leather shoes, similar to the pair Senku had on. But the other, well they were a pair of brown sandals, far too big to fit onto Senku. There was a pair of sock's messily stuffed into them, which in itself made your face scrunch up. 

You paused for a moment, you were under the impression that this would just be Senku and yourself. It's not that you were craving privacy, alone with the walking celery stick of a man but it just surprised you. Maybe his dad had come for a visit? That's a terrifying thought, of course, who would leave their barely out-of-high school son alone in Europe. That must be what it was. "Did you forget how to walk too? Am I gonna have to carry you in?" Senku sarcastically asked from behind the door. Your spine straightened right away as you quickly followed in. 'Someone's cranky' You thought. Looking around, you realized just how much organized chaos this all was. Blueprints lined the wall, weird-looking machines in every corner, the dining room table full of lab equipment. "What a mess..." You accidentally said out loud. Senku laughed, "Wait until you see the lab. When you're a team of one, you start to lose that IKEA model design that most people are accustomed to in the west. As a scientist though, interior design doesn't exactly appeal to me." He motioned you through the kitchen past the stairs, where you assumed the bedrooms would be but you didn't question it. You glanced at the kitchen counter and saw piled of unopened microwavable ramen. He guided you to what looked to be an old guestroom, the casual way he switched the light switch and walked inside did not prepare you enough for what you were about to witness. What in the willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory HELL were you looking at? Huge tanks, wires spilling out of every boxy machine, all sorts of blinkers and gears. Every single piece of science equipment that you could name was probably stashed somewhere in this room, what kind of high school graduate was he? This wasn't normal, some of the things you weren't even sure were street legal! You finally spotted the spot on the floor, some sort of chemical had eaten off the finish on the wooden floors and seemed to still be going.

 "I won't bother with an explanation of what happened as I really should be getting to bed but I'll break it down for you. Y/n mop's the floors and picks up the glass, no touchy for avoidance of a lawsuit, sandpaper that bad boy, leave the mop outside, then second room on the right won't miss it. Goodnight." After shoving a mop against your chest he made his way upstairs, you could hear his light footsteps above you. Your face froze as your sleepy gaze focused on the spill. 'You know I'm really starting to despise this Senku, guy. Didn't even wait till morning, didn't even give me the chance to change out of these wet muddy clothes, and left me here?!' Your thoughts raced as you hesitantly starting the process of cleaning up. Upon you finishing mopping you sat down for a small break against the quietest machine you could find in the room, 'I'll just rest my eyes, for a moment.' You were out cold.