Caloric theory

Hot rubber screeched against the gravel paved roads as you gripped your finger pads to the deck. You felt almost like you were riding inside of a car made for barbies, as this was the smallest vehicle you've ever been in. Senku's knees were almost against the deck. "I don't have my license yet. Been too busy!" He spoke on top of the engine's steady roar. Your heart sank at this detail, your eyes darting to his spring onion hair fuming out his helmet then back down as his unbothered expression. You tucked a piece of loose hair from your chinstrap as you got whiplash from his sharp turns, "You're driving without a license?!" A laminated piece of paper no bigger than a business card was shoved into your face. "A be...up? Be-up, what is this? Another business card?" The car pulled into traffic, being significantly smaller than all the other cars that everyone seemed to gawk. It was a strangely busy road considering the lack of anything around it beyond farms. Senku dug into his ear and glanced out the window, "Ehh.. it's like a permit but for minors without a license here. I need to update it, since I'm getting a little too old. The only catch about these things is that I can't drive anything more than 700 pounds or go above 28 mph. Something like that." You blinked in confusion, feeling as if you were going well beyond that speed beforehand. Senku yawned, "Plan today is...to get the parts I need, go to the market, then head home to start your training. So, it should be pretty short. I have some stuff I need to submit to my mentor and some in general studying I need to get done so let's make this fast." He fully turned towards you when he explained each step to you. It's almost as if you could see a roadmap of the day ahead of you. You stared out the window, your stomach growling once again, "Well, at least this won't be completely boring. I'd like to see the market." 'So I can eat half of it' You thought.

Growing quiet, you both silently watched the wind carry the wheat out the windows. A yellow sea against a stormy sky, it seemed to twirl and dance. Senku flicked on the radio, one that he most likely installed himself as it seemed more like a trucker radio than one of a car. It played a Lillian Wineberg song, which surprisingly, Senku tapped his finger against the wheel to. He didn't seem like the pop music type. He let out a small hum during the chorus which left you baffled. You could barely hear him but his voice was soft and he could carry a tune surprisingly well. As the song played, the two of you were silent outside of his humming. It was a comfortable silence though, one you were not the most accommodated to. Everywhere seemed too often to be too noisy, as if everyone has to always fill up dead air. You didn't need that with this guy for some reason, talking never felt forced. Aside from the occasional glance over at his stupid helmet, you were completely still, melting in your seat like butter.

Suddenly rain began to patter on the window, coming in through the sides as it lacked proper doors. It left the two of you covered in stray raindrops as it started to pick up, "Y/N, grab the plastic wrap-" Bewildered you tilted your head, making sure you were hearing him correctly. He glared at you and let out a puff of a laugh. He started to rummage the back of his car. His legs dangled where he once sat as he threw empty cartons of plastic wrap at your feet. A part of you wanted to laugh but this whole situation was too sick and twisted. Finally, he slumped in his seat in defeat. "Heh Heh Heh...You're a bad luck charm, aren't you? Wasn't a drop of rain for months until you came to town. Not that type of nonsense seriously exists, but if it did... I'm 10 billion percent sure you'd be a rank F on the chart of bad luck." As he flashed a crooked smile his jaw began to chatter ever so slightly. It was surprisingly cold for summer rain, the lack of insulation probably didn't help either. Your heart sank a bit as the two of you pressed on. 'Wait why do I care? Did I forget that this is the same guy that treated me like shit when I first got here? He can shiver all day if he wants. Maybe it'll make him gain some muscles or something.' You pulled your coat in closer. You pulled into a parking lot that was completely empty. There was a green awning draped above the storefront, it was peppered in holes and colorful mold that was not unlike the ones Senku had in his fridge. As the car turned off you ran inside the store, leaving Senku behind to figure out how to remove his helmet from his colossal head.

To your surprise, the inside of this place was enormous, although dimly lit. Several copper pots boiled on top of the fireplace as the fire was one of the only sources of light. All sort of metal tools and parts dangled from the walls. Wooden structures, blueprints, it was all sort of familiar. "Ah. It's almost like a blacksmith from a video game, huh? My parts guy can replicate any piece I need for half the price." Senku was soaked, from head to toe, his hair completely down. You may have mixed feelings about him, but no denying he could be real pretty to look at in certain lighting. He pushed past you to stand by the fireplace and shivered so dramatically, it made you roll your eyes almost instantly. You continued to explore this shop, playing with coils and spare parts. Suddenly a loud booming voice from above called out, "Ho! Ho! Be right down with you, youngin!" Senku responded, "No rush, old man! Just turn up the heat!" His face was scrunched up and he turned a pale blue color, it was too ugly to look at so you pressed on. You glanced around for this disembodied voice, where it could possibly be coming from. "I'll turn up the heat, alright!" A figure seemed to fall from the top of the stairs, causing you to rush towards it. An old man wearing a suit covered in robes slid down a rope attached to a pulley, holding a pair of heated pliers that glowed orange. He shoved them into a pot of water once he reached the floor, it bubbled. He flexed his surprisingly large pectoral muscles, so much you were sure his shirt was going to rip. "Y/N, meet old man Kaseki. The best craftsmen in Germany."