Chapter 2

Tendou's bandages were significantly dirtier the next day. You also noticed that he kept his head down and his hands in his pockets whenever he could. You ignored his hands in favour of focusing on the work in front of you. Simple chemistry questions. You loved chemistry, learning about the different reactions and bonds that could be made, or destroyed with the mere dissection of a compound. Or the way two mixtures would cause explosions, much like people. You always thought your parents were sodium metal and water. The devastation left from their interactions still left burns.

You were lost in thought, so much so that your Sensei snapped his fingers in front of your face to grab your attention. Your head flicked up quickly. You apologized and he rephrased his question.

"Number four, for our review. Do you have the answer?" He shot a harsh glare at Tendou, who looked like he was about to burst. He obviously had the answer. Or an answer, at least. You read over the question, once, twice, three times before you spoke. Time seemed to move at an achingly slow pace.

"'A compound was found to contain nitrogen and oxygen in the ratio 28 g and 80 g respectively. The formula of the compound is...' blank." You read aloud.

"And what is it?"

"Dinitrogen tetroxide," you said.

"Wrong!" Satori shouted in a singsong voice from across the class. You shot him a dirty look and looked back down at your worksheet. You were correct. You had to be. N2O4 was the chemical formula.

"If you're so sure that Miss [L/N] is incorrect, what answer did you come up with, Mr. Tendou?" The teacher crossed his arms and leaned against your desk with his hip, an unamused look marring his features.

"It's N2O5," he said proudly.

"Not with the ratio set the way it is. It's a ratio of twenty-eight to eighty, divided by four, it's seven to twenty, which is..." you trailed off, counting on your fingers. "Fuck, he's right, it's N2O5."

"Watch your language," the teacher scolded. Tendou stuck out his tongue in a mocking manner and you rolled your eyes. "We'll continue this tomorrow," Sensei said as the bell rang, signalling the end of the school day. You plugged in your earbuds as you packed up your stationary. An arm slung around your shoulders as you selected your playlist, and one of the earbuds were plucked from your ear.

"The Living Tombstone?" Satori asked as he put it in his own ear.

"Okay listen," you defended. "I was feeling nostalgic and this is the stuff I listened to in middle school." You yanked the cord from his ear and carried on walking, Satori keeping up.

"Nono, not judging. I listened to the same kind of stuff." You rolled your eyes.

"So hey, can I get your number? That way I can give you a heads up next time I need to hide."

"Absolutely not."

"Fine, I'll get it from Semi. You two seem to get along." He was talking about your tablemate, the one you spoke to on the off chance you missed a slide of notes. He did have your number from that one class he missed. But there was no way he'd give it out without your permission, right?

"He doesn't have my number," you lied. Tendou gave you a look. He didn't believe you.

"Whatever you say, Five."

"That's not my name."

"I know."

"You're abhorrent."

"I know." He removed his arm from your shoulder in favour of stretching his hands out in front of him. "You're pretty good at bandaging, you plan on becoming a nurse?"