Chapter 3

Hey, serious tw here for abuse, almost vomiting and facebook memes. If you can't handle it, skip the lines between "your head was down as you unlocked your apartment" and "the sound of a small, innocuous chime rang." otherwise it's your own risk.

Much to your surprise (and relief), your dad wasn't home. Your timing was off, as you had expected him home a week before. Tonight was the night you would take the brunt of his tiredness, but it couldn't last for the whole week he was back. Another thing that caught you by surprise was Satori's frequent visits.

"I thought I said not to come here anymore." You crossed your arms indignantly.

"Ah, you said not to hide behind your counter anymore."

"Fine, what do you want this time?"

"Two creams, one sugar, please."

Everytime you were on shift it seemed he found his way in. You would have considered it stalkerish had you not made him explain himself on his third visit.

"Why the hell do you only show up when I'm on shift?" you asked, wiping a coffee ring off of the coffee bar.

"Oh, I come by everyday. Figured I'd catch you most of the time. Why, do you not like my company?" He rested his elbows on the table and put his cheeks in his hands, giving you a large, cheeky grin. You sprayed him in the face with the sanitizer bottle you held in your hand, wiping it down with the cloth in the other.

"You absolute bitch!" he shrieked, laughing. His smile had you looking away, lest it become contagious.

"You had a milk-stash," you explained, wiping his top lip again. You tossed the now unusable cloth into the laundry bin across the room. You turned back to him, and couldn't help but notice the unmistakable redness of embarrassment across his cheeks. His eyes were downcast. He looked into his almost empty mug, and you swiped it away.

"And to answer your question," you placed the mug in the small glass washer, "you're tolerable. I wouldn't willingly invite you here, so don't get excited."

"Right, right," he said, hands up in defense.

Now, he was sitting in his usual spot, you cleaning up for the night and emptying old carafes.

"'Ey! Bar wench!" he said in a mock British accent. "I require more drink! The strongest you have!"

You looked at him, unimpressed. He laughed at his own joke while you refilled his mug.

"Why are you here?"

"I'm a paying customer."

"I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

"Ah, but would you refuse me?"

"At any given opportunity." You began putting away the snack foods you had on display.

"How about you refuse him now and serve some of your other customers," an angry voice spoke. You looked up to see someone standing next to Tendou. He was an older man, mid fifties most likely, with a business suit and misplaced toupee. Satori was giving him an amused look as he sipped his coffee. He had been the only one in the store until this guy arrived.

"Sorry sir," you said. "I didn't see you come in."

"Of course you didn't. Large dark roast, double double. And make sure to do it right."

"To go?" you asked, putting the order into your machine.

"Of course, do I look like the type with the time to waste in a hick town coffee shop?" he gave a glare to Satori, and you felt your temperature rise with frustration. That, and your machine had just frozen.