Confessions ~ Lindir

Standing before the throne of your dear father, you feel more nervous than you expected to, and it takes you a moment to compose yourself, then reveal:

"I wish to ask you something."

He leans a bit forward in his seat, nodding for you to go on.

"You see, Ada, I am in love."

Your father grins and claps his hands together, rising from his throne. "I must say, it is about time you admitted it aloud."

Blushing, you tilt your head in a bashful agreement, then go on, "I request your blessing to court Lindir."

Elrond beams. "You ask of me a treasure I have long desired to give away."

You watch, fiddling with your fingers behind your back, as your father clasps his hands before him. His response gives you hope, but it is not an outright agreement.

"Does he know?"

"Not yet. At least, I do not believe he does."

He smiles. "You must tell him, then."

"Does this mean..." Your smile, nervous but bright, grows. "I have your blessing?"

"You both have it, yes."

"Thank- what?" Eyes wide, you step back. "He has asked you?!"

"Oh, not yet." Elrond chuckles. "He will soon, I am certain."

You can hardly stammer a belated thank you as you turn for the door, heart all in a tizzy. It seems you truly have been blind! Your sister sees it, now your father- the Valar forbid, your brothers return from their long journey to the Grey Havens, take one look at you and Lindir, and ask boldly when the wedding is to be! The handle turns before you have touched it and you give a start, stepping back, to find none other than the elf of your affections. Lindir smiles, a little shyly, to see you, and you hardly have the time to wonder how much he heard before he walks into the throne room, passing you by with a sweet 'good morning' and a light touch of his hand on your arm.

Knowing as you do now how he returns your feelings, you watch with bright eyes and a smile so wide it's nearly foolish as he proceeds toward your father, resettled on his throne.

You slip out the door, leaving them to their business- likely something to do with the matters of the kingdom, you suppose -yet you hardly make it down the hall before you hear the great door opening once more as footsteps fly from it.

Not supposing you are the aim of those harried feet, you continue onto the balcony to breathe in the sweet morning air. The scents of the valley, rich and old and pleasant, never fail to calm you, and your heartbeat begins to slow. I shall ask him this very day, you decide, just as the footsteps halt behind you, and you realize you have been pursued. Turning, you see Lindir, pink-cheeked, pursing his lips as if to hide a broad smile.

"Good morning."

"The same to you."

A long bout of silence. You step toward him, reaching for his hands, and he lets you take them, his fingers entwining with your own. You each stare at the connection of yourselves for another few seconds, then look up at the same moment, words falling from your lips in tandem.

"I must tell you-"

"Would you find it agreeable-"

"Oh, you first."

"No, you, please."

"No, that's alright-"

"Lindir-"

"Roquenis-"

Your lips catch the corner of his mouth and he falls completely silent, staring at you with eyes as wide as the moon on its fullest nights. A soft, shaky laugh falls from your lips and you nudge his jaw up from where it has dropped. His chest heaves, just once, as he glances all over, trying to figure out why you've just done that, and you take the opportunity to be brave once more. This time, you hit the mark, and you feel him immediately returning the kiss. He squeezes your hands and you step a little closer, love flowing like golden honey throughout your body.

It takes a little time to recall your ability to speak, once you have broken apart. He keeps running his thumb over the side of your hand, and it's driving you positively mad, in the best way possible.

"Would you court me?"

Four simple words, no fancy embellishments, no wild declarations, just a question, and an open-ended beginning.

He grins.

"Of course."

Stealing another kiss, you let your eyes flutter closed, smiling against his lips. Hurrah! This could not possibly have gone any better. He steps around you, letting go of your hands to slip his arm into the crook of yours, and you look out over the valley, together.

"Lindir."

"Hmm?"

"What was it my father said, to make you leave and follow me in such haste?"

He shuffles his heel against the ground, bashful, and you kiss his cheek to remind him you are, henceforth, most certainly his.

"Before I could speak a single word, he told me of your question to him only a minute prior, and declared that if I should wish to speak to him on any other matter, I should find you first and proclaim my love."

You step a little closer, laying your hand on his arm. "So shall you?"

He turns and leans in, and your breath catches in your throat when he smiles at you like that.

"I love you."

You lean back a little, not letting him catch your lips just yet, and reply before he can dare to look crestfallen, "And I love you."

Then you let him kiss you, and pure wonder leaps through your soul to know all you do now on this fine- no, incredible -morning

YCIOH: Your father was right: it's about time this happened! Everything feels right, now, with no more pining, or confusion, or wary hopes. The truth has come to light, in a brilliant manner, and you still feel the tingle of Lindir's kiss on your lips as you go about the rest of your day. You don't even mind Arwen's gleeful teasing once she finds out- in fact, you laugh with her, elated to finally have him as your own.

HCIOY: He can hardly believe it, but somehow, he manages. It's almost dizzying, to have you in his arms, so near and so sweet and so loving. You. Love. Him. The thought keeps a smile on his face the whole day, and when he comes to supper that night, Elrond has relocated his usual chair to rest beside you. Under the table, you take his hand for a few seconds, once or twice, and he swears you could not find a happier elf in all of Middle Earth than himself on this day.

Up next: Confessions ~ Elrond