Chapter 16 - The Order of the Dragon

His father's bloody torso was replaced by Magnus's kitchen and broken furniture. It was just before sunrise, and Dalie was quietly talking to Mr Magnus by the door. Nico tried to shake the dream out of his head, but he didn't manage to get up before Day was out the door. Magnus hadn't closed it entirely though, because a strange sight had met his eyes as he sent her on her way. Nico went to the window and saw several people on the street right outside the door. It was too early for people to be on the streets, but luckily no one seemed to take any notice of Day in her dark blue cloak as she left the house of the Alchemist. They were too preoccupied with something on the wall across from Magnus's house. They could see Day push her way through the crowd to get a closer look and after having read something that was fastened to the stonewall, she discreetly looked over her shoulder and she met Nico's eyes through the window. She looked worried and suddenly Nico felt a hand to his stomach. It was Magnus who had just pulled him back, he hadn't even noticed that he was about to march out the door.

"What do you think you're doing?!" He hissed at him, but seeing as he was curious as well, he added: "I'll go." Mr Magnus put on a jacket and joined the crowd on the street.

"Have you seen it?" He heard people whispering all around him. "Is it really true?"

"Mr Magnus, there you are!" The city chamberlain tapped him on the shoulder before he reached the proclamation, that everyone was so excited about. "Have you heard?" The chamberlain continued before he could even answer. "Do you know where he is? The prince I mean?" He must have seen the guards ravenging through his things last night, but Magnus was prepared.

"No, I don't. Why do you ask?" He said casually and tried to push through the crowd again, but the chamberlain grabbed his shoulder and pulled him close. He then spoke very quietly and very close to his ear.

"Too bad. I... We," he corrected himself. "We want the prince to know that there are folks who believed in his innocence even before this." And then he handed a crumpled piece of paper to Mr Magnus and disappeared in the crowd. It was a proclamation identical to that on the wall, which the chamberlain must have torn from a post further down the street. A blonde head turned around in the crowd and Dalie met his eyes. He held up the proclamation in his hand as to say he had seen it, and then she disappeared as well. He brought the piece of paper back to his house, raising as little suspicion as possible, but everyone seemed busy with their own things in the morning, so it wasn't hard. When he came back, both Dina and Nico were waiting just on the other side of the door. He gave the paper to Nico and he read it outloud.

"Proclamation

It is hereby made known to every citizen of Dunark:

That Nicodemus Raven, youngest son of King Ebnezer Raven of Dunark and Skay-Sagi, has this day been found guilty of patricide and of the fiendish murders of Lady Adela Leotarra and her son Bian of houses Raven and Leotarra, for which crimes he must be made to pay with his life.

That Nicodemus Raven thus loses and eternally forfeits every right, all good, all titles and all inheritance and is to be known for an outlaw and a peaceless man from this time and until the day he is led to the scaffold.

That any citizen, high or low, who aids or conceals the outlaw or refrains from assisting in his capture is deemed guilty of treason, for which misdeed said citizen may forfeit his life.

It is further made known:

That the House of Raven is now without a lawful heir.

That the governance of Dunark Castle and Skay-Sagi thus falls to Drakan, blood son of Ebnezer Raven, and hereafter Dragonlord of rank and name.