Chapter 31 - Chased

You might expect the world to go quiet in a moment like that. But it certainly didn't. In fact, it seemed like very few had noticed what was going on at the podium. The dragon was still writhing and screaming from the pain of the arrow in its neck, which made the ground under it grow black with dragon blood. Dragon soldiers were either trying to put out the fire in the weaponry or getting shot down by arrows from above if they tried to get near their Lord. People were running in all directions. The castle gate was so cramped that people were climbing each other to get over the walls and away from all the fiery gunpowder in the weaponry, in fear it might blow up and take half the castle with it. Children were crying, men were shouting and women were screaming. It was chaos. And suddenly, Dina felt her hands being pushed aside and her mother's ropes were cut. She looked up and met Rose's eyes right in front of her. She was holding a small rusty blade that was covered in blood and so was her hand. Dina was just about to ask if she was okay, when she realised, the blood wasn't her own. She had used her knife to stab Drakan in the leg and win Nico the extra second he needed. She had escaped the guards in the crowd and managed to climb under the podium to get away. Rose noticed Dina's surprised and fairly impressed expression.

"I told you, I had a knife!"

"Who are you?" Nico asked and wiped sweat off his forehead with the back of his arm.

"That's my friend, Rose!" Dina said with the most confident and proud voice she had uttered all week. Her mother took a second to smile at her, but it didn't last very long. A soldier had gotten through the rain of arrows that Dalie and the Weapons Master was producing and Nico had to jump in front of them, to block his attack, directly aimed at Dina. As soon the swords hit each other - Melussina nudged, and almost pushed, the girls off the podium and they started running. They set for the gate, but Dina knew they would never make it. There were far too many people. Melussina knew the same.

"No, this way!" The Shamer called and took Dina in one hand and Rose in the other and together they ran straight towards the dragon.

"What are they doing?!" Dalie shouted on top of the wall, but only the Weapons Master could hear her.

"They have to! It's the only way." He replied as he sent another arrow straight into the thigh of a soldier only turning around to start his pursuit. The three women were closely followed by Nico as soon as he got the attacking guard off their backs. He kicked another on his way to them, but finally they all made it to the iron gate leading to The Dragon Court. The dragon was banging its own body against the wall in a pathetic attempt to break or move the arrow nudged between its scales. Even in these insane movements, it looked horrifying and Dina's eyes lingered on it as her mother dragged her past and through the round opening in the wall. They could only hope now. Hope that no one saw them go through the Dragon gate. Hope that no one knew where it led and would wait for them on the other side. And hope that they would make it to the other side without getting eaten.

*

"We have to go!" The Weapons Master called as he started running along the wall and towards the western tower. Dalie knew he was right, but the longer she stayed on top of the wall the more time she could buy the others. But it was also more time in which she could get caught. She started moving towards the Weapons Master, but still didn't stop shooting. She made sure to stay behind all obstacles for as long as possible - both not to get hit by arrows coming their way and to avoid being seen. It was best if no one knew it was her. But if her identity had to be the price for Nico's life, then so be it. She let go of another arrow and felt the feather cut her cheek as it left the bow. Her father had always taught her to avoid that, but it was just easier to aim if her cheekbone touched the string. And there was no time for missing.