Chapter 1: Last Day

Marinette's POV

Have you ever wanted to toss your alarm clock into the next dimension? I have. This morning I was greeted with the wonderful sound of incessant beeps.

All I heard was the beeping.

The most annoying beeping on the planet.

I stuck my arm out to grab my phone and press its power button. It was finally silent. My phone dropped out of my hand as I turned in my bed and snuggled into the sheets. Nothing was more comfortable than the chilled sheets that surround me after a long night. At first, I had to stay up late to finish a commission. Hawkmoth had different plans though. Why he thought it was a good idea to turn a concerned, panicky mom into an akuma was beyond me. The team was luckily able to remove the akuma easily, thus allowing me to calm her enough to know that her daughter snuck out. Her daughter was safe at home when I dropped the mom, Alyssa, off. Once I was finally able to catch some sleep the nightmares decided to come back. All in all, it was a rough night. Yet, the cool sheets in the morning made it worth it. Kinda. Regardless, I could use the extra little snuggle this morning.

As I began to drift off once more, a realization smacked me in the face. Today is the last day of school before break, which also means it's one of the last day before I get to move. I'm finally going to be able to move away from the city of love to the city of crime. Maybe, I will finally be able to meet up with my old friends again. Well, if they remember me that is. What will happen if they don't remember me though? No. Marinette, you can't think like that before you get there.

I shot up in bed and glanced around. The vines, pictures, and boards that once decorated my white walls have been packed away in moving boxes. My bookshelf was bare of any novels, CDs, or trinkets that may have rested on it. The desk I typically work at was neat for the first time in forever. Well, it was as neat as it could be with the remains from the commission I finished last night. I knew that the rest of my little apartment was just as bare as my bedroom; only the necessities are still laying out in the open. Overall, everything would be ready for a quick pick-up that the movers will be doing soon.

Slowly climbing out of bed, I padded my way into my bathroom to get ready for the day. On the counter were grey leggings, a light blue t-shirt, and a white, slightly oversized hoodie. All folded and ready for me to change into. As I continued to get ready for the day, something came to mind, "Tikki?"

"Yes, Marinette?" The small, red Kwami responded.

"What if... what if they won't let me leave? I mean, Uncle Jagged is practically my guardian now. Sure, he doesn't know about the situation with Maman and Papa, but he has offered to move me to a new school in Paris. And Chloe's stubbornness..."

"Oh, dear. Marinette, everything will be ok! You and I both know that everybody you're meeting today wants the best for you. At this point, I think moving is the only option left."

"You're right Tiks. Thanks." I sighed out

"Of course, Mari! But you better hurry up or you're going to be late for school."

Thanks to Tikki's reminder, I rushed through the rest of my morning routine. Once my hair was safely twisted into a messy bun and my teeth were brushed, I slipped on my black converse. My slight rush was less out of worry that I would be late like I used to be in middle school and more that if I didn't get to class early then Lila would have an easier time blaming me for something. Honestly, waking up early wasn't too bad if my day could be somewhat easier than it was before. When I was finally happy with my appearance, I grabbed my backpack and rushed out the door toward my school.

~timeskip to Mari at school~

I looked around the courtyard. There were only a few people loitering around the front of the building and by the staircase. Luckily, none of them were in one of my classes. Maybe today will be a good day, especially if I could sit down in my first class before anyone gets there. Perhaps I wouldn't be accused of doing anything to Lila today. Or maybe I'm just kidding myself.