Chapter 3: Halfway Across the World

Marinette's POV

It took the hospital another day or two to release me. I honestly don't know if the doctor truly wanted to observe me overnight now that I regained consciousness or if the hospital staff was excited to have Jagged Stone and his family visiting daily. Regardless, once I got out, Uncle Jagged took me back to his hotel suite with Aunt Penny and Luka.

Now that was an interesting experience, to say the least.

The minute we got back to the hotel I was swooped up and carried to the main couch where all my main injuries were elevated and iced. Sitting next to me was Luka while Uncle Jagged and Aunt Penny seemed to be running about to get me ready for Gotham. Boxes seemed to appear out of nowhere filled with personal belongings from my apartment, and bags popped up with new school materials that were nearly falling out.

Slowly, I turned slightly to face my new parents running about, "You both know you really didn't need to buy all this new stuff or bring my boxes here. I could have used Kaalki to move the boxes into my other apartment, and I think that the U.S. will still have school supplies."

"No way! You're not in any shape to do that!" Aunt Penny said.

"But Tikki..." I began before being quickly cut off by Uncle Jagged, "Tikki won't be doing any healing right now, little rockstar. You both need to rest up."

I turned back slightly to Luka only to see him chuckle and shrug a bit before getting up to walk away. 

"Luka! Don't leave me alone with them. You know Tikki could heal me without wasting too much energy." I shouted only for his figure to disappear off with our parents. Before he was completely gone I heard him call out, "No can do Ma-Ma-Marinette. You should listen to mom and dad."

That was it, I was left alone being coddled by my new parents. If anything, it kind of gave me a flashback to how my old parents used to treat me when they still trusted and loved me.

~~~

Three days later I was finally able to use Tikki to heal my ankle and wrist. While most of my bruises were still a little painful, Tikki can only really heal the injuries that may impact my fighting. Unfortunately, that does not include scratches and bruises even if they run deep, so I'm still left making up reasons why I have jagged scars littering my body.

I was in the hospital for another day. The doctor wanted to observe overnight now that I regained consciousness. As soon as I got out though, Tikki healed my ankle and wrist. The thing about being Ladybug is that Tikki can heal some of the injuries I get that may impact fighting, but not minor ones like scratches and bruises. Unfortunately, part of that means that most of my body is littered with scars and bruises and I have to make up a reason for them being there.

Once Tikki finished up with the healing, Jagged—who eventually convinced me to call him and Penny by their names rather than Uncle and Aunt—Penny, and Luka helped me label and ship my packing boxes to Gotham. I would have preferred to take a plane to Gotham and then use a portal to move everything, but I need to appear as normal as possible. I cannot afford to attract the attention of Batman or the others before I was completely free of visible injuries. The last thing I needed was having to control a mob of angry batboys, if they still like or even recognize me that is.

Once we finished, Chloe let me borrow her limo to head to the airport. My new parents and brother wanted to come, but something came up last minute. It hurt to say goodbye though it wasn't nearly as painful as when I said goodbye to the Waynes. Maybe it's because I know for sure I will see them again. Yet, here I am. In twenty hours, I will be back in my hometown, halfway across the world and away from this awful city. On the drive to the airport and on the plane I kept my sketchbook and headphones out. I wanted to work on a little gift for each of the boys as an "I'm sorry" present for not being in contact for the past few years.

~~~

After I managed to find my luggage, I walked out of the airport and onto Gotham streets. It felt just like it did when I left. Well, nearly the same. The streets had some slight adjustments made from what I can only assume are from fights between the bats and my uncles. As much as I wished I could roam the streets all night, I had to quickly book it to my apartment. After all, once it got too dark I would be risking running into one of the bats or my uncles and aunties.

First things first. I need to actually get to my apartment. Walking to the curb, I managed to hail a cab and told the driver roughly where I was headed while shoving my bags into the car. One of the things about Gotham is that, while most of the citizens protect each other, you could never be too careful. Especially where I'm headed.

The driver pulled beside a building roughly a mile from where I live. I paid my fare, grabbed my bags, and acted as if I was about to walk into the building until the man drove away. I clicked play on my phone while popping in my headphones, then I started to walk to my destination. I just couldn't get over how normal the streets of Gotham felt to me. It was like home in a way that Paris could never compare to, even when I patrolled at night to protect my fellow civilians as Ladybug. Eventually, I was stopped outside of a large, run-down apartment building.

"Well, I guess this is it."

Quickly, I inserted and turned my keys in the lock. The door opened to a decently open studio apartment. It wasn't anything like the one I first had in mind in Crime Alley nor the one Jagged wanted to buy for me in the Heights, but it was just what I wanted. Who knew that East End would have the perfect apartment for me!

I pulled everything I brought with me into the open room and immediately put on Kaalki's glasses and opened a portal to drag everything left in Jagged's hotel room to the new apartment. After everything was inside, I started to decorate what I could without my boxes which should be arriving within the week. 

My bedroom has white walls with a window at the head of the bed, acting as a headboard. The bed itself is laying on top of some wooden planks that the previous owner left. The white, fluffy sheets and comforter were already hugging the bed with all my pillows sitting on it. 

My bathroom was pretty small. Just barely fitting the necessities, so I organized everything. The toilet paper was on a shelf above the toilet along with some knickknacks, the shower had my shampoo, conditioner, and soap sitting clustered in a corner, and my toothbrush and toothpaste were on the sink counter. Anything else was stuffed away under the counter for easy access when getting ready.

And finally, I moved my main sewing desk towards a window. I was going to have to buy some foldable tables so I could have more workspace and a comfortable couch to spruce up the room. However, for the time being, everything was just the way I wanted it.

Completely tired, I walked into my bedroom and passed out as soon as I flopped onto the bed.

~~~

Chloe's POV

It was the first day I went to school without Mari-bug there. Oddly enough, I think I have always felt more comfortable with Mari here, even when I bullied her.

I was sitting in my usual seat at the front of the class. When Mari was here, I had to sit in the front regardless of how much I begged. Though I will admit, the position had its benefits. For one, I could listen to all the drama so I was always up-to-date with rumors and plans. For now, it pays off as I can look to see the faces of my classmates when they slowly realize Mari-bug isn't here.

It was weird. The people I least expected to side with Mari, aside from the corrupt quadruple, noticed sooner than the others. For example, Ivan, Kim, and Alix looked sad to an extent when they looked at Mari's empty seat. Did they start to gain some brain cells and see through the bullcrap? 

Meanwhile, Lila was still spewing filth about Marinette's supposed abuse and threats, crying. Alya hugged the witch and Adrien and Nino just looked at her with pitiful eyes and said cruel things about how Mari deserved what they would do later.

I grabbed my phone and began to record the conversation for future reference. 

Mari-bug, at least you got away. I hope you find the comfort and encouragement you definitely need from people who aren't tainted by Paris's environment. That little bug deserves the world for what she puts up with.