"Hold..."

Jade:

"Moriarty Publications. Jade Jenner speaking." The call was routed to my office just as the mid day rush was at its peak. I sat typing away on my desk as I tried to cradle the handset on my left shoulder.

There was silence on the other line. A brief shuffling, a sudden intake of breath.

"Hello? How may I help you?" I asked with an impatient sigh. My workload was insanely huge today.

"Jade?" The voice was deep and masculine. It carried with it an air of authority, yet it was far from imposing.

"Yes. To whom am I speaking with?"

"This is Jasper. Doctor Jasper Jones. I'm your grandmother's tennant, and doctor."

"Doctor Jones, pleased to meet you. To what do I owe the pleasure?" I was brusque, and my attention was unequally divided. I'm sure I gave the impression that I was busy, and eager to get back to the task at hand.

"I have a bit of bad news. I wish I could relay the... it's your grandma. She died in her sleep lastnight."

I felt immobile. I was rooted to the spot where I sat. The monitor on my laptop seemed unnaturally bright all of a sudden, and the room eerily quiet as I tried to grasp the caller's reason for calling.

"Jade? Jade? Are you... are you still there?"

"I'm sorry, doctor. I thought I heard you... you said my Nana... that Nana Blanche was..." I could not force myself to say it.

"She's gone Jade. I'm sorry."

Silence. I could hear myself breathe unevenly. The first tear fell from my left eye, and I hastily reached for a box of Kleenex on my desk as I tried to compose myself.

"Was she sick? Was she in pain? I was scheduled to come visit her next month, as was agreed upon when we last spoke. I wasn't aware she had the house rented out. I'm sorry... how did you meet my Nana Blanche again?" I asked, my thoughts coming in a spiral of topics and questions.

"Miss Blanche wasn't sick. For several days though she has been, how should I say this... depressed? She was in no pain when she passed away in her slumber."

"I see." Was all I could manage to say in return. I toyed with the phone cord absent-mindedly.

"If you could... I mean, there are matters to be discussed and..."

"Ofcourse. Yes. I understand doctor. I will take the next flight to handle the... uh, to handle things there, I mean." Again the tears threatened to fall.

"That's, good to hear. I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Jade. I'll see you soon then?"

"See you soon."

And with a clicking sound from the other line, everything in my life was suddenly put on... hold.