How it all started

When it started I had no idea what was happening to me. First it was just dreams. I didn't know they were not my dreams, but rather someone's memories.

"Go! Go! Go! Don't let them see you!" Shouted a deep male voice to the left.

The air was heavy, filled with smoke, almost too heavy to breathe. Running, I was running, through what appeared to be a forest of some kind, so dark, it must have been night. Then the forest suddenly lit up; first it was a blinding light, then a deafening boom. I was thrown back until a tree stopped my flight. I heard an awful cracking noise coming from my body. Pain, horrible pain. I can feel broken bones as I struggle to pull myself upright. My ribs and my left arm are broken. My arm refuses to move, it just hangs by my side useless. Looking around I see bodies, so many bodies! Bodies of men I knew, back when there was life in them. Now they are just staring off into space. Parts of them missing, blown apart. My friends are all dead. More pain, I grab my left arm only to find its no longer broken, it's somehow healed. The same with my ribs.

BANG! I feel a piercing pain tearing through my side; as I loose my footing and slip into darkness I see the enemy rushing towards me shooting and screaming at me in Vietnamese .
I woke screaming. The door to my room flew open to show my mother coming to my rescue.
This happened for almost a year before she just stopped coming; every night I would wake screaming, always because of some war I was living in my dreams. It was always a different war, in a different place.

Mother was so worried that she took me to doctors all over the country, who all gave me pills to try and stop these dreams, but nothing ever worked. They all would shake their heads and say, that there was something wrong with me. My mother and I believed them until three years later. On my 18th birthday we got an unexpected visitor. Then everything changed, and I learned there was NOTHING wrong with me.