chapter two | iced angelic americanos

"Two iced Angelic Americanos!" I call out as I set the two drinks on the elevated counter. I look over the bustling cafe with a careful gaze, attempting to locate the man who ordered them.

The Hallowed Grounds is relatively busy which brings joy to my heart. It's a gentle confirmation that everything will be alright if we keep working hard. I only hope Kasey is able to see it when she pokes her head out from the kitchen. I worry that she doesn't see the smiles on the customers often enough to understand how amazing of a job she is doing. I hope she knows she is being appreciated by every customer who walks into this sacred place.

A family of three sits at one of the tables, enjoying their breakfast treats with a gentle smile on each of their faces. A couple has taken the window spot and judging by the way they are gazing into each other's eyes, I'd say they are too in love to notice their coffee going cold. I see a few new faces pass by as they curiously examine the bookshelf and the artwork section. Then I see him.

The never-late, bright-eyed gaze of eight o'clock and his sleepy companion.

Jung Hoseok and Min Yoongi.

The two iced Angelic Americanos.

Hoseok is dressed in a faded green jacket with baggy black pants, his soft brown hair is parted in the middle to show his forehead. He weaves around the gathered customers who are focused on the new featured paintings hanging on the wall and gestures for his friend to follow him.

Yoongi tears his gaze from one of the paintings and casts his friend an open-mouth complaining look before dragging his feet to follow. I have never seen him wear anything but black clothing and today is no different.

"Here you are," I say cheerfully, pushing the two drinks towards the edge of the pickup counter. "Have a blessed day and come again soon!"

Hoseok greets me with a smile of equal energy and takes the drinks. "Thanks, you too!"

Yoongi catches up and his eyes are already focused on the coffee in Hoseok's hand. His pout fades as he takes his cup and sips it lightly. A satisfied expression appears on his face and he nods in approval like he always does.

"We always come back," Hoseok adds, watching Yoongi happily drink his coffee. "Remind me to thank Namjoon for choosing a place close to a coffee shop."

Yoongi's eyes lift from the drink briefly. "This is where all of our paychecks go, Hoba. They make good money off of us," he complains.

Hoseok giggles and flashes me a smile over his shoulder. "It's an equal exchange. We see plenty of you guys stop by."

I laugh lightly and nod in agreement, "Yeah. It is." For the other baristas, at least.

Bangtan Chicken and Brewery is a fairly new restaurant that opened across the street from us. They are known for the best Korean fried chicken, savory snacks, and excellent beer, which they make within their bar. They also sell massive-sized pizzas with every topping imaginable, including macaroni and bacon, steak, BBQ chicken, and flaming pineapple which is literally a burning pineapple for bonus points for presentation. It is locally owned by Kim Namjoon but according to what I've heard, he helps out just as much as the other workers as a waiter.

I have been meaning to try their food during a calm hour; I don't want to be caught in the dinner rush. Not only that, the prices on their food are slightly more expensive than I can handle at the moment. Though I love my job and pays for everything I currently need, it doesn't necessarily pay for wants. It keeps me from burning through my money and living a minimalistic life but that's because I have no other choice.

"Aish, we're going to be late," Yoongi says urgently, glancing up at the clock painting that reads eight forty-five. He grabs Hoseok's jacket sleeve and tugs on him.