chapter twenty-one | cardamom rose latte

The coffee shop would be empty without our rambunctious pack of eight. The sight of Taehyung, Jimin, and Namjoon by the art piece is adorable, and watching Jungkook and Yoongi discuss their orders in lowered tones reaffirms my belief that Yoongi definitely has a soft spot for the youngest.

Hoseok's shoulder presses against mine as he scoots closer to my side. His hand interlocked with mine, his body warm against me, and his bright eyes are fixated on me. The gentleness in his gaze causes something within me to melt. It's a comforting distraction. I'm happy I didn't come alone.

Seokjin strides up to us and playfully positions his arm on Hobi's shoulder like he was an armrest. He leans against him and grins, "Ahh what shall we get today?" he announces. Hoseok smirks in return and starts lowering his shoulder to force Jin's arm to slide off. Yet Jin is determined and leans heavier on Hoseok.

I giggle and try to release Hoseok's hand so he can deal with the playful man. But to my surprise, Hoseok's fingers remain locked around mine, refusing to let go, and shrugs Jin off with a sharp motion.

Ahead of us, I overhear Yoongi's casual voice saying, "Of course, it's on me.". He lightly pats Jungkook's shoulder before slipping his hand down and grasping the outside of Jungkook's fingers as if he wanted to hold hands.

Jungkook gazes up at the menu for a moment longer. Then he looks back at Yoongi and nods, "Thanks hyungie." He doesn't move his hand away from Yoongi's light hold and keeps close to his brother.

Sam stands behind the cashier with his usual customer smile and waits patiently for the boys to decide on their orders. "What can I get you today?" he asks Yoongi and Jungkook.

"I'll have an Angelic Iced Americano, he'll have the Holy Bonfire Latte," Yoongi replies, already pulling out his wallet. He gestures behind him, "We're all together. It's one order."

Sam looks over and I make eye contact with him. There is a smug smile on his lips now and a proud gleam in his eyes. I fight the urge to roll my eyes at the barista yet I feel an amount of gratitude towards him. This was possible because he "opened my eyes" to the possibilities at the right moment. Thanks to Sam, I truly saw Hobi for the first time and it triggered my crush-like feelings to stop hiding. As embarrassing as it was, I am glad it brought me to this moment.

Jin steps forward and quietly orders another Angelic Iced Americano, adding two caramel frappucinos for Jimin and Taehyung, and a caramel macchiato for Namjoon.

Hoseok exchanges a look with me, "What do you want?"

My last drink at the Hallowed Grounds.

I mentally review the list of my favorite drinks in my head and include the various experimental drinks I fell in love with. I glance up at the menu and a distant memory comes to mind.

A few months ago, during Valentine's Day season, I made a special rose drink during my break and taught the other baristas the recipe. It was our secret Valentine's drink that everybody knew about by the end of the week. It required a special syrup made of honey, rose petals, and cardamom pods. It was served with one or two shots of espresso and foamed milk. It looked gorgeous, especially when an experienced barista was able to create a blossoming heart in the foam.

I wonder if Sam would make it for me if I asked, or I could run into the back and whip it up myself.

Jin moves away from the cashier and clears a way for me and Hobi. We step up to the cashier and Sam's smile grows when he sees our interlocked hands. "Hey Finley, how are you?"

"Pretty good," I reply honestly. Distantly, I notice Hobi's hand tighten around mine and his shoulder press against mine, leaning closer than before. "Hey, how much of a tip do I need to give you to make me a cardamom rose latte?"