chapter eighteen | hot white russian

"Do you need me to call the police?" Yoongi asks, sitting across from me on the couch. His gaze is sincere as he looks over me for any sign of injury.

I sink down into the nest of thick blankets, nestled warmly, and my back pressed against the couch. I shake my head. "No, it's alright. It's okay now."

Yoongi looks over at Hobi with concern. "Is it?"

Hobi walks over to the living room area with two mugs of coffee in his hand. He walks with care but his face grows dark at the mention of Tyler. "I'm trying not to think about it right now." His lips pull down into an upside-down triangle as he fails to stop thinking about it.

Yoongi's gaze grows distant for a moment as if to give him space through a lack of attention. He looks to me instead, "Are you sure you want to go to work tomorrow?"

"I can't stay home forever," I reply weakly. In truth, I am exhausted. After the chaos of the attack and now the Tyler situation, I don't know if I have much left in me. I know life goes on, and I am supposed to continue moving with it. I feel as if I am wasting time, or doing something wrong without realizing it.

I am forced to break the routine and without it, I am not sure what to do with myself. Breaks and vacations are foreign to me. I work constantly, but happily. I need to pay my bills and support myself; taking too many breaks will lead to problems in the future if I am not careful.

It's difficult to distract myself from reality, even if I am given grace for the recent events.

Hoseok kneels in front of me and offers me one of the cups. He raises his head to reveal guilt in his caramel brown eyes. "I'm sorry for not coming sooner," he apologizes again.

"I told you that you don't need to say sorry," I plead, taking the cup from his hand. Our fingers brushing gently over each other. I draw the cup close to my chest and inhale the calming aroma of the dark roast. "It's not your fault. All that matters is that you came in time."

"How did you know, by the way?" Yoongi asks.

Hoseok shakes his head. "I don't know, I just... knew."

Yoongi's eyes linger on Hoseok. "Just knew?" he repeats. "Like something was telling you or... just a random feeling?"

I could have just imagined it but I swear Hoseok stopped breathing.

My stomach twists with gentle discomfort at the sight of Hoseok's hesitant expression. "It doesn't matter, only the outcome. And it was good, so there's no need to worry..."

Yoongi raises his brow before shrugging. He sits back on the cushions and glances at the TV. "No need to get defensive, I was only asking."

What does that question mean to Hoseok?

When I look at Hoseok, I notice a soft blush resting on his cheeks. He blinks a few times and regains focus. "So I was hoping you had a movie in mind?" he asks instead, changing the subject.

I shrug. "I'm down for anything. Whatever sounds good to you."

"No horror movies," Yoongi chimes in and flashes Hoseok a smug look. "Unless you want to hear him screaming the whole time."

Hoseok forces a sarcastic look and scowls at Yoongi, playfully. "Ahh it's just not my thing."

I smile softly at him, "Me either. I don't like them either."

"You and the rest of the house. Jungkook and Namjoon seem to be the only ones who enjoy them," Yoongi says.

"What's your favorite type of movie, Hobi?"