chapter eight | java chip frappuccino

I finish wiping down the counter with a new rag and take care not to streak the cleaner across its glossy surface. The cafe is quiet with the sound of the new morning. There seem to be fewer customers than before. I didn't expect the sudden drop in numbers when we announced that the Hallowed Grounds would close. I hoped for the opposite reaction but unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

Golden sunlight shines through the freshly cleaned windows of the cafe. It casts soft shadows across the walls and wooden tables. Soft music continues to play in the background, probably from Kasey's morning lofi playlist and creates a sleepy yet bright atmosphere.

I glance up at the sound of the cheerful bell and feel my chest lift with an unexpected happiness.

It takes me by surprise but my initial shock fades as warmth spreads through my body.

It's somewhat maddening, yet it feels too lovely to ever try shoving away.

Jung Hoseok strides through the door with the youngest of their group, Jungkook, at his side. Hoseok grins at Jungkook through the corner of his eye; he has such a smile that lifts his cheekbones. He teases Jungkook about something and playfully bumps into his side to encourage Jungkook.

Jungkook's lips form a wide smile revealing his teeth and he starts laughing at whatever Hoseok told him. His laughter sounds full and genuine, I can't help but wonder what they're talking about.

I smile to myself and toss the rag underneath the counter. I brush my damp hands against the sides of my waist apron and take my place behind the cashier. I wait patiently for them to come to the counter but they are distracted by the new painting in the corner.

"Your boys are here," Sam chuckles from behind me.

I shoot him a disapproving look. "They're not my boys."

Sam grins and rolls his eyes at me. "You're not good at being coy, Finley, it's so obvious. You light up every time you see them."

I exhale sharply through my nose. "I do not," I say indignantly. "I am just doing that customer-service thing. I smile all the time, Sam, it's not just for them."

"Oh you've got it bad," he laughs harder, amused by my attempts to deny him. "You're so lovesick you should be quarantined."

I force out a dry laugh, "Ha ha, very funny."

"What's funny?"

My body stiffens with surprise and I whirl around to find Hoseok and Jungkook standing in front of me. I gape at him for a moment, panicking he might have overheard Sam, before quickly schooling my expression to remain perfectly calm.

"I--, I was just..." I cough loudly to get rid of this horrible stutter. I wave my hand absently, fighting my rising blush. Oh my goodness, my heart is racing. "I'm... choking." I swallow hard, "hold on a second."

Hoseok's eyes widen with concern. "Oh... yeah, got it."

In the corner of my eye, I catch Sam dragging his doubled-over self into the kitchen, absolutely dying with laughter. His laughter echoes loudly before the kitchen door shuts behind him.

I will have to snap him with the rag for that.

I draw a slow breath and finally recover from my stomach-turning shame. I give Hoseok and Jungkook a kind smile. "How are you today?"

Hoseok brightens and shares a quick look with Jungkook. "We're good, we wanted to stop by to see you. And..." He nudges Jungkook's arm with a secretive smile, "we wanted to invite you to have a meal with us. Since you're going to work with us, we should have dinner together!"