Chapter 12: Seven Minutes In Hell

"We have to stop meeting like this," Raphael says. His hands are on my waist to stable me.

He looks as breathtaking as always with silky blond locks falling over his shoulders and complimenting his striking face. He is in casual striped t-shirt and dark jeans, but he still stands out. There is nothing casual about Raphael DeRose.

"Mashika was talking to me about some Harper working with her and your face was the first thing that flashed in my mind. What a pleasant coincidence that it is indeed you?" A seductive grin curves on his lips.

I smile, internally shaking myself out of the daze that his smile puts me in. "I hope she said all good things about me." I'm not surprised that Mashika and Raphael know each other. They are in the same department.

"She's impressed." His eyes linger all over my body. "And so am I."

He's such a flirt, but I'll be damned if I say it doesn't work.

"Well, I live to impress." I try to be witty, but it's hard when I feel someone else's blazing gaze digging into me from the other side of room. It also makes me realize that Raphael still has his arms around me, making me step out of his hold.

"So why our beautiful Harper Young is all alone?" Raphael asks.

"I just got here. I was going to look for the girls." I try to hold my smile as my eyes waver to Adrien. His stare is accusing and territorial as it burns into me.

"If it doesn't trouble you I won't mind giving you company," Raphael proposes.

"Since many girls vie for your company," I say, grinning, "it'll be a shame to pass up on that."

"If you desire you can have more than my company Harper Young."

I chuckle, shaking my head. It's been so long since I flirted with guys. The reason being the guy whose dark gaze is making me nervous right now.

"Then how about we go somewhere less crowded?" I suggest because I want to get out of Adrien's sight. I'm afraid he'll do something to embarrass me, like he did the other day.

"I don't like the loud music either."

Raphael takes my hand and I let him guide me out of the room. Before leaving I can't help but sneak one more glance at Adrien. He looks livid and it almost makes me pull my hand away from Raphael. I hate how this asshole is always butting in my love-life, even if he stands afar. He behaves as though he has some claim on me. It's so... annoying.

We go to the kitchen and pour ourselves drinks. I haven't touched alcohol for months, but right now I feel the need of a glass or two to loosen up.

"Last time I didn't get to take you out for coffee, hope this cheap liquor compensates for that," Raphael says, taking a gulp from his cup.

"It does not. I want my coffee."

He grins and his blue eyes light up, realizing that I'm hinting at a date with him. I am surprised by my own boldness, but you can get a little heady when a gorgeous specimen like Raphael DeRose is giving you attention.

"Then Harper Young will get her coffee in the finest cafe," he says.

I giggle. "Stop calling me by my full name. It sounds weird." Also too sensual for my own good.

"Your name is beautiful, I love to say it aloud. I like how it rolls on my tongue."

"You're so cheesy."

"That I am. I won't mind if you take a bite of me." His brows wiggle.

I laugh. He is so bad, but so good. Is it bad that I love how shamelessly flirty he is?

Conversation between us flows easily as we drown cups of beer. Eventually I get more relaxed, probably because of alcohol. I guess not having Adrien's hawk-like eyes watching me helps too. People are coming in and out of the kitchen to get drinks, but it's much quieter than the outside, except for the couple making out in front of refrigerator. Raphael and I lean against the counter and yap about everything and nothing.

Later, drunk Mashika and Sandra stumbles into the kitchen, making me realize I totally forgot about them... Well, if you have a distraction like Raphael, you can even forget about a building on fire in front of you.

"Harper, you came!" Mashika and Sandra pull me in a hug like I am a long lost friend. Maybe it's the guilt of not meeting them earlier, but I hug them tighter.

Oh god, we all are so drunk.

"Trent dragged me here," I tell them.

"I'm glad he did," Mashika says and eyes Raphael and me, a teasing smile spreading on her lips. "I think you guys have hidden here long, now it's time to get back to the party. We're playing a game. Come on."

"You and your stupid games." Raphael rolls his eyes.

"Stop complaining. You're the one who enjoys them the most," Mashika reprimands him.

Just like that we're dragged back to the living room once Mashika and Sandra grab their drinks. Around seven people are huddled on the couch and carpet beside the makeshift dance floor. To my chagrin, Adrien is one of them. He is sitting on the couch with a girl clinging to his arm.

I suck in a breath as his focus shifts from the girl to me. His face is blank of emotions, but the tick of his jaw let me know he's still angry seeing me with Raphael. I want either him or me to vanish from here.

Mashika, Sandra, Raphael and I settle on the carpet. I notice Logan and Trent are also here. Logan gives me an acknowledging nod and Trent waves. I smile at both of them. There's an empty beer bottle in the middle of circle.

"Now that we got our drinks, let's start the game," Sandra announces and smiles at me and Raphael. "Just so our newcomers know, this game is a mixture of spin the bottle and seven minutes in heaven... I guess that's enough to give you a picture. Best of luck!"

Sandra does the honors and spins the bottle, starting the most cliché game of the century. The bottle points at some guy and everyone hoots. Sandra takes a sip from her cup before grabbing that guy by his collar and taking him to another room. Whistles and howls follow after them.

Even though on the outside I laugh along with others, I feel a little scared of being part of this sexual game.

Seven minutes later they come out. The guy's hair is disheveled and Sandra's lipstick is wiped out. Okay...?

Once again the bottle is spun, this time by Trent. I burst out laughing when it points at Raphael. Trent smirks and Raphael wiggles his brows suggestively before they both take off together. This time the howls are much louder.

As we wait for them, I feel Adrien's stare on me while talking to Mashika. I start getting apprehensive as I realize we both are playing this game. My luck can't be that bad, but...

Raphael and Trent return with a wolfish grin on their faces. Trent even winks at Raphael as he sits back in his place. Another round of hooting follows. Both are playing along with the crowd and they are loving it.

Eventually my turn comes too and I twirl the bottle. Not Adrien. Not him. I chant in my head as it rotates.

My heart stops as the bottle does. Series of curses run inside my head for my unlucky stars.

Is there not a limit how much bad luck a person can carry?

By the looks of it, apparently not.

The head of bottle is pointing at Adrien. I raise my head to look at him. My distress must be amusing to him because there's a gloating smirk on his face.

Before I can grasp the situation, Adrien's fingers are wrapped around my wrist and I'm being hauled to the empty room.

"Looks like we're meant to be Peppa," Adrien says as he shuts the door.

Here begins my seven minutes in hell.

*******