Chapter 21: Date With A Chef

Raphael unlocks the door of his studio apartment and we step inside. I walk behind him and take in everything.

As expected it is small, but well kept. There's a love seat in the middle facing an empty table where there should be a television. I look at the side and find the kitchen separated from the rest of large room by an island and two stools near it.

Further inside is a single bed, right beside the large window. Curtains are drawn but I can picture the sunlight streaming through them in the early morning over Raphael's sleeping figure. There are only couple of photos of him hanging on the beige colored walls, one with his friends including Mashika, and the other what I'm assuming his parents.

"Welcome to my humble abode," Raphael says, keeping the keys on the table.

I smile. "It's so nice and cozy."

Raphael surprised me by proposing to have our date at his place. I was apprehensive but he assured me he just wanted to cook a meal for me like he promised last time.

"Thank you. I moved here just this year," he replies, "before I lived in dorms. When I completed my Bachelor's I realized I needed some independence, so I got the cheapest place I could find. It's a little far from college and a little small, but it's all mine."

It is quite far from college, almost in the city. We have to take the bus to get here. But I guess having the comfort of your own place overlooks that.

"So let's get started with what I promised you." Raphael grins and heads over to the kitchen.

I follow him. "You look excited." I chuckle.

"Oh, I am excited." He takes aprons off the hanger and passes one over to me before wearing the other one. "You'll be the assistant today ma chérie."

"Gladly," I say, putting on the apron too.

I see him taking out pork, different meats, a bottle of wine, herbs, white beans, vegetables and whatnot from different corners of the kitchen and place them on the counter.

"You are very prepared," I comment.

"Of course," he replies, "a special guest calls for special preparations."

I bite down a smile, my cheeks tinting a little. I am very flattered that he put so much effort to please me.

When everything is set he rubs his hands and flashes me a grin. "Let's begin, shall we?"

"Floor is all yours, Chef DeRose," I tease, grinning back.

Raphael places the big pot on the stove and starts putting meats in it. He tells me he's making cassoulet, the dish he raved about while walking me to my dorm after our last date.

We chat as we chop vegetables and the meat simmers. Cooking with him is fun.

"You see Harper, cooking is an art," he says as he puts the chopped veggies and white beans in the pot along with water.

"So you are one of those people," I joke, handing him meat.

"I'll say proudly I am one of those people." He laughs and I join him too.

As he goes on adding more stuff like herbs, spices and chicken, he explains me about dish. The traditional french cassoulet can take about three to four days to prepare, but Raphael's going for a shortcut method.

When he's done adding wine in the pot, he pours two glasses for him and me too. We sip wine and work on the food. Raphael informs me for the dessert he has planned cheesecake. So once we put the cassoulet in oven, he start working on the cake.