Chapter 23: Slipping Away

Liam's grin drops to a frown as his gaze shifts to Adrien who is towering behind me. I think he wanted to say something but one look at my tormentor and he decides to keep it shut.

"Of course, you have a boyfriend," Liam finally utters, disappointed, "sorry for disturbing your night."

I shake my head which he probably mistakes as 'no problem'. He trails back in the direction where he came from before I can bring myself to refute his horrendous assumption.

"You're turning into a troublemaker, Peppa," drawls Adrien. I feel the tingling heat of his hand on my shoulder and his thumb on the bare skin at the curve of my neck.

I stand up, shoving his hand away and turning around. I lose my breath for a second as my eyes clash with his intense dark ones. "You-you-" I stumble over my words, much to his amusement. "What was that?!" I finally say, glaring at him. 

"Don't tell me you wanted to go out with that loser too," he taunts, his tone contemptuous.

"It doesn't matter if I wanted to or not. You don't speak for me," I reason even though he isn't capable of any.

"Then stop leading on random perverts smiling like that. You're too naive to see their true intentions."

"According to you Adrien, every guy that approaches me is a pervert or a man-whore, huh?" I rage, my face turning red. "Then what about you? Sitting there surrounded by random girls, you're not very different from them. You're the biggest whore!"

"I am the biggest whore?" A smirk curl at the corner of his lips. "Just say you're jealous, that you don't want me to see with other girls. I'll happily oblige, unlike you."

"What?"

"Don't play dumb," he warns.

No way am I repeating the mistake of having this conversation with an audience. It's too personal, and embarrassing. I feel the curious eyes of Areum, Jaxon, and even Zaid on us.

I grab Adrien's wrist and drag both of us out of here. He complies and walks behind me until we are both away from the crowd and in short narrow hallway. I push him against the wall and glower at him.

"You're getting violent." Adrien smirks, looking down at me and seemingly enjoying my distress. He further leans comfortably against the wall. "Who should I owe this change to? You or the alcohol."

"What are you up to?!" I growl, ignoring his comment.

He raises an amused brow. "I'm just out here trying to look out for my girl," he says.

"I'm not your girl! I'm not your any-"

Before I can finish, air washed out of me and I found myself pinned against the wall. Adrien's tall body hovers over mine and his hands hold me still by my waist. He's so close. I breathe in his distinct musky scent shrouded by the lingering smell of shampoo, soap and alcohol.

"I'd disagree Peppa," he grits, the amusement in his eyes gone and replaced by something wild, "we both know you've been mine for a long time."

"All I've been is your prey. A target for you to bully and body-shame," I remind him, and myself.

Intensity in his eyes dims and his jaw clenches. "I should've been more careful then, but you're still mine."

"I'm not anyone's, much less yours."

"Stop with the act already! I see you looking at me too. I know I'm not the only one who feels this. You're as much into it as I am."

My cheeks flame and my breaths become ragged. I look down, unable to meet his gaze, and shake my head.