Chapter 4: Classes

Loud cheers erupted from the Slytherin table as Nico hoped from the stool and walked towards it. As the sorting went on, Draco was put into Slytherin without the hat even needing to touch his head, and Draco had moved to sit next to Nico. Both Harry and Ron had been sorted into Gryffindor, as was Hermione Granger, whom Nico had met shortly.

"I'm Draco Malfoy. And you are?" Draco asked suddenly, disrupting Nico from his thoughts.

"Nico di Angelo." Nico replied.

"Oh, American?"

Nico sighed and nodded. "That's cool." Said Draco. Nico just shrugged. He didn't personally have anything against Draco, although he had been rude to Ron, but he didn't really know Ron either, and he doubted that Ron would like him much now that he was in Slytherin, remembering how Ron had spoken about Slytherins as though they were evil. He didn't particularly mind though. His job was simply to protect Harry, and even if it would be easier to protect them if they were friends, it was certainly not necessary.

"If you're American, why did you decide to come to Hogwarts, which is across an ocean?" Asked Draco after some thought.

"I'm not sure. My father deemed it the best school."

"Oh. My father said the same." Nico hummed in response. "You're really not much of a talker, are you?" Nico shook his head. Draco laughed. "I like you." he said.

Nico smiled to himself at that. Words like those were words he never thought he'd hear again, and he didn't think that people could feel that way about him. It was simple, and although Nico would never admit it out loud, it made him happy.

Dispite Nico's attempt to hide his smile, Draco saw it and laughed again. There was no harsh tone in his laugh, not tone suggesting that Draco was mocking or making fun of him. The harshness from when speaking to Ron and Harry had also completely vanished from his voice. He was friendly. Harsh to people he did know or perhaps like, but he was friendly to people he did like, such as myself, though Nico.

When the food appeared, Nico didn't eat anything, having already eaten a couple sweets earlier.

"Are you not eating anything Nico?" asked Draco.

"I'm not hungry." He replied. Draco looked at him and then shrugged, allowing to do what he wanted. Draco couldn't force him to eat after all.

After the feast was over, the Slytherin prefects led the first years to the common room and then to their dorms. Nico liked the common room. It was stationed underneath the lake, so you could see the aquatic life that swam all around. The room also gave off dark and deathly vibes, which was precisely Nico's aesthetic.

Draco and Nico, along with Blaise Zabini and Theodore Nott all shared a dorm. None of them pried into Nico's private life, and he liked that. He was comfortable sharing the place with them, and he didn't mind the company. Perhaps he wouldn't hate it here, he thought.

The night commenced with Nico and Draco playing a game of chess - Nico won, of course - and then going to bed.

Nico awoke early the next morning, before any of his roommates did. The sun was just beginning to rise, and Nico enjoyed this short period of time where he could just relax in the peace and quiet on his own.

Nico began fidgeting with the ring that he had stationed around his pointer finger, not used to it being there. Hecate had enchanted Nico's sword to transform into a ring when not in use, as it would look suspicious for him to walk around with a sword strapped to his waist. Hecate had told him that if he wanted to summon it, that he would only have to think about wanting it, and that it would the turn out of ring form and immediately be in his hand.

Now bored, Nico lay on his bed with nothing to do. It wasn't a feeling that Nico wasn't used to, as at camp Nico would constantly just stay in his cabin with not much to do. Just because he was used to it, however, didn't make the feeling any less annoying or bothersome.

After a couple more minutes of pondering what to do, Nico finally decided. He leaned over the side of his bed and after some search and struggle, Nico sat back up with a booklet full of small sketches of his friends or things that he cared about. He looked through it slowly, smiling at some of them, suddenly missing the comfort of his friends. Although it had only been a day at Hogwarts and a couple days away before that, Nico still already missed some people. So, to distract him from the feeling, the bored Nico di Angelo took to drawing Percy, Annabeth, Will, Jason, Hazel, Piper, Frank, Leo and himself all sitting down by a camp fire.

Although Nico would never admit it, he was actually a very talented artist. Both with drawing and singing, Nico was very good in both. And for Nico to be the son of Hades, it was ironic that he had the voice of a angel. He didn't sing often, and only did it when alone, so very little people knew about to. In fact, no one did. His drawing were also unknown about in the camp, and he wanted it to stay that way as well.

He finished his drawing just at the time that Theodore Nott was waking up. Theo saw Nico, who had clearly already been awake long.

"How do you wake so early?" Questioned Theo, the fact that he had only just woken up being evident in his morning voice.

"It's a habit. Besides, it's not like you woke much later then me." Theo groaned and made a dramatic effort of falling backwards on his bed. Nico gave a light smile at that.

Once the four of them were up, Nico, Draco, Theo, and Blaise all went to the great hall to eat breakfast. Nico ate a couple of grapes, but other than that he ate nothing. His friends, however, seemed to grab whatever food appeared on the table. When Nico watched Blaise nearly throw himself across the table to get the last piece of french toast with a humorous look on his face, Blaise, with his mouth full, grumbled at him.

"What?" Blaise said.

"Nothing." smirked Nico. Blaise rolled his eyes but continued to stuff his face with food.

Nico had become oddly close with the four of them in less then a day. He already considered them his friends.

The first class he had of the day was Transfiguration, and that was with the Gryffindors. Nico sat with Theo and Blaise with Draco in front of them. The class went smoothly, though it was rather boring. Harry and Ron had gotten lost and came to class late, and it was quite a shock for them when Professor Mcgonagall was able to transform out of a cat and into human form.
The class, other than that went fine. Nico was impatient however, wanting to get on with the actual spells and magic rather quickly.

After transfiguration was herbology and then charms. Neither class intrigued him much. Nico hoped charms would become more eventful in the future weeks, because if it continued going at this pace, then Nico wouldn't be able to stop himself from falling asleep in class.

After lunch was defense against the dark arts, the class that intrigued Nico most. Unfortunately for him, the professor seemed to be a complete oaf. He was a complete mess, terribly nervous and seemingly incompetent.

After completing the bit of homework that had been assigned to them on the first day (which wasn't much), Nico was able to slip away from his friends and went to find Ron and Harry, just wanting to understand their views of him now that he was in Slytherin. He found them easily, as just as he was leaving, they were coming into the great hall, and it seemed as though they wanted to speak with Nico as much as Nico wanted to speak to them.

"Oh Nico?" Harry asked quietly.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"We don't hate you." Harry said.

"And I don't hate you either." After that was said, both Harry and Ron looked evidently less stressed.

"Brilliant. We'll see you around I suppose." Said Harry. Nico nodded and headed his own way, pondering about the strange conversation he'd just had, the others doing the same.

Word Count: 1435