Chapter 10: Nonverbal Magic

Nico, Draco, Theodore, Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle were heading to transfiguration when they encountered Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Ooh, look who it is!" said Draco in a voice that could only mean that he would torment them.

"Malfoy." said Ron in a cold voice.

"What are you lot doing? Going off to see mummy?" Draco said, and Crabbe and Goyle let out laughs, to which Nico rolled his eyes.

"Shove it Malfoy." said Harry.

"Ooh, little Potters gotten angry." Harry's hand made a fist, and Nico could tell he was, indeed, getting angry. "I hope the little mudblood will be able to wish you luck for your little game on Saturday, you'll need it." When Draco said mudblood, Ron instantly went mad, and his face turned red and his hands made fists.

Nico put his hand on Draco's shoulder.

"Draco." he said. "That's enough." Draco looked at him, gave a slight nod and turned, motioning the rest of their Slytherin friends to follow.

"That's right, leave! Leave like a coward!" yelled Ron. Because of Nico's hand on Draco's shoulder, he didn't turn around, and nor did the others, following Draco's lead.

"Shove it Ronald." said Nico as they kept walking.

The group went to transfiguration, where they met Harry, Ron and Hermione at the door once again, as they had the same class. Ron glared daggers at Draco, but Nico gave a quick shove on Draco's back, and he was pushed into the classroom.

"Thank you." whispered Harry. Nico grunted in reply. Nico went to his seat, which was next to Draco, and the class began. He paid no attention, subtly blaming his ADHD.

Harry had apologized months ago, and still did for the night with the mirror. Their friendship had gone unaffected, and Nico still did somethings with the group, though it was harder as the classes had resumed, and because they were in different houses. Draco, Theo and Blaise had also returned, and Nico took to doing most things with them.

"... transform the ring in front of you into a book." said Professor Mcgonagall as Nico tuned back into the lesson.

In front of Nico sat a plain silver ring, and from the little bit that he had heard, he had to transform it into a book.

"You have to transform the ring into a book." whispered Draco, not knowing if Nico had heard or not. Nico nodded and gave a small smile in reply.

He watched Draco say the spell and unsuccessfully try to turn the ring into a book before trying himself. Not wanting to have to speak, Nico thought of the greek incantation of the spell, made the motion for the wand, and watched as the ring transformed into a large, brown transfiguration book.

"How did you do that?" asked Draco, his eyes wide.

"Well done di Angelo." said Professor Mcgonagall at the same time, though her eyes narrowed at him.

Nico shrugged in response to Draco, and watched as Hermione, who had not yet been successful in transforming it, stare at him with disbelief. Nico laid his head on the book, tired. He took to observing the rest of the class. Hermione completed the spell a couple minutes after him, and Draco did shortly after that. Nico then closed his eyes, feeling himself drift into sleep.

Nico awoke again just moments later after feeling Draco shake him awake. He jumped, falling out of his chair. The rest of the class turned to look at him, and he just sat on the ground until Professor Mcgonagall had their attention once more. Nico then quietly set his chair back up and took a seat, and smirked when Draco hastily apologized.

The rest of the school day was rather uneventful, and after Nico's last class, he headed to Professor Mcgonagall's classroom again. After transfiguration, the professor had asked him to see her at the end of the day.

Nico knocked on the door, awaiting an answer before stepping inside.

"You wanted to see me, Professor?" he said.

"Ah yes, Nico. Please, have a seat." replied Professor Mcgonagall. Nico sat in one of the desks at the front of the room. "I wanted to see you, because you turned your ring into the book with a nonverbal spell. You are only a first year after all, so to be able to do such magic at such an early age is remarkable."

Nico didn't know what to respond with, so he just stayed silent.

"May I ask how you did it?"

"I didn't want to speak, so I just thought of the spell in my head." he said.

"You just thought it in your head? Do you know how powerful such magic is?" said Professor Mcgonagall, seemingly astounded by Nico not making it a big deal.

"Well, I don't know, Professor. I just did what I did." replied Nico with a shrug.

"Would you be able to preform nonverbal magic again?"

"Yes, Professor." Nico took out his wand and looked at a random object on a desk. A quill lay, discarded, and Nico stared at it. His intention was to transform it into a mouse. He thought of the greek incantation of the spell in his head, and then swished his wand. The quill turned swiftly into a mouse, which then sat there confused on the table.

Professor Mcgonagall stated at him with disbelief, but quickly recovered and congratulated him for being able to do such great magic at such a young age.

Nico left the room with Professor Mcgonagall having a newfound respect for him. Unfortunately, it would bring attention to him, as she would then watch him carefully.

Nico was the met by Draco, Theo and Blaise, and he told them what had happened. The quartet headed down to the quidditch field where the Slytherin team was practicing for their game on Saturday. Harry would also be playing as seeker for Gryffindor, but Nico rooted for Slytherin, as it was his house. Nico also didn't want to give Harry or Ron boasting rights.

Nico zoned out as Draco began boasting about how he would get onto the team next year, and instead watched as the snitch so clearly flew around one of the beaters, while no one else noticed it was there. He was too lazy to point it out, so he decided not to.

They left soon after and did their homework for a bit before going to dinner. Nico didn't eat anything.

He went to bed early, feeling tired, but not in a way such that he was physically tired, but he felt so mentally exhausted and tired. He pulled out his sketchbook and began drawing Percy, though unfortunately, he fell asleep halfway while doing so.

Word Count: 1124