Chapter 9: Mirror of Erised

Wandering was not something unlike Nico, and nor was exploring. Many nights were taken up with walking about the school, trying to figure out the many secrets it could have while unable to sleep. It was these nights that brought Nico to discover the lovely Mirror of Erised.

Nico was no fool. He knew what the mirror was to do, and he knew it's dangers. That's why, the second that he saw it, he shadow traveled straight back to his bed.

Nico knew that if he had looked in the mirror, he would have seen Bianca standing next to him, the two of them laughing and sharing jokes and candy. And that would have been enough to lure Nico back there every night. It would have plagued his dreams and thoughts. It would have driven him mad. And he knew it would have.

He hated it. He hated the constant feeling of something being so close in reach and yet so far. He could see Bianca. He could see him happy. But with such a cost. It was almost worse then seeing it every night. It was almost worse, and yet Nico wouldn't allow himself to even take a glance at it.

Except one night. Nico had been wandering the halls, as per usual when he sensed it. Thanatos' cloak. The cloak of death. He felt it so carefully swim past him, trying not to make a sound or notify him of its presence. He knew that only one person could be under it, too.

Nico didn't try to grab it. He didn't freeze or get frightened. He continued walking forward until the cloak past him. And then he turned around. He sensed the cloak move further and further away from him. He made sure he blended in with the dark shadows that loomed in the corridors at night, and then he carefully followed it.

Nico sensed where it was going. He saw which door it opened and which room it was going into. He knew what Harry was going to see. So, once the door opened and closed again, and once Harry had entered the room, Nico broke out into a full on sprint, shoving the door open and nearly tackling Harry, pushing him away from the mirror.

Harry let out a scream and Nico quickly shoved a hand over his mouth. Harry moved to kick him, probably not seeing or realizing who it was. Nico quickly dodged and took Harry in a headlock. Harry began struggling, kicking and moving him legs.

"Harry! It's me Nico! Now stop your kicking." hissed Nico. Harry quickly stopped struggling and Nico released him from headlock.

"What was that for?!" whispered Harry.

"You wanted to see the mirror, yes?"

"Yeah. But what does that have to do with anything?"

"How many times have you gone to see it?"

"... twice." hesitated Harry.

"Twice?"

"Yes."

"Well that's two times too many."

"Why?"

"That mirror is dangerous Harry. What do you see in it?"

"My parents. I see my parents smiling with me."

"And you constantly want to go back to see them, don't you?"

"Yes." replied Harry bluntly.

"That mirror possesses such power and lures people to it. It allows people to see their greatest wish, what they want most. You see you're parents. That's cause you want to meet and see them. This mirror will cause you to come back every night and wish to see them. It possesses much danger and power, and you must never return to see it." commanded Nico.

"But what will you do to stop me? And it's not even your choice, it is my decision. I want to see my parents and I have the chance to and you're taking that away from me!" hissed Harry.