Chapter 4

"Ladies and Gentlemen." I heard the deep voice of our president, Franklin De. Roosevelt. My husband sat on the couch, his hands folded and beads of sweat ran down his handsome face. He looked concentrated as if something was concerning his thought process. I tried to give him a look but he seemed unaware at my gesture.

Did he know what he was going to say?

I turned the knob louder because of the static sound of the old radio box.

"As you all know, it is war time with Germany. The Italians have also allied with the Germans, and we are short on men for our United States Army." The president seemed to hesitate before he went on which made me feel a little nervous.

"Every single man, or married man without children will be sent to serve the armed forces if they are 18 and older." I looked over at my husband and he shot up and looked at me. "As for the men married with children, you will be escorted to help with the repairments of the naval services or the flight services." Tears welled my eyes as my husbands blue eyes seemed trouble as if dark thoughts over came him.

The president didn't say anything for a little while, then finally he said these words with solemness tracing them.

"God bless America and the people with America."

Then the radio shut off.