Sally: Part 26

Part 26

Now, that’s interesting, Peter thought, looking at the computer screen.  Wilson Martin.  The name came across his desk a few weeks ago, but Peter never made the connection between this Wilson and the one that Sally was screwing.  Parolee from the state of Missouri.  Convicted of negligent homicide two years ago.

Did Sally know this?

He picked up his car keys and left his office.  He knew that Wilson left town three days ago, and that Sally had been alone in her house all this time, but he just couldn’t show up as soon as that cowboy left.  That would be too obvious.

Now he had a reason to visit her.

*****

She could smell his cologne before he got within twenty feet on him.  An expensive brand, designed to entice the female species with lustful thoughts.  Sally wanted to gag.

Sage saw Peter first.  Her friend came to visit and help with the party preparations, and together they were neck-deep in jack-o-lanterns and pumpkin pulp.   When Peter rounded the back corner of Sally’s house, Sage raised an inquiring eyebrow at him.  Standing up from the goop-covered tarp she laid out in her backyard, Sally kept a tight grip on the knife in her hand.  “What are you doing here, Peter?”

He smiled pleasantly.  “I thought I’d stop by and see how you’re doing.”  He nodded a greeting at Sage, who – bless her heart – noticed Sally’s discomfort and scowled at him.

“After ten years?”  Sally snorted and rolled her eyes.  “Go away.  I was just fine until you showed up.”

He advanced on her slowly…cautiously, keeping one eye on the sharp object she tapped against her thigh and another on Sage.  Pumpkin guts covered Sally’s jeans, and the slick strings of multiple gourds coated her hands.  But that wouldn’t stop her from adding a “lifelike” zombie to her haunted hayride if he got any closer.

“Actually, I was curious as to how your farmhand was working out,” he said, stopping just shy of the tarp.  Discreetly, he checked his shoes for any slime. 

She grinned evilly at him.  “Oh, he’s just perfect…in every way.”  Sage giggled, causing Peter to squint at the younger girl more thoroughly.  Sally moved to block his view of Sage.  His eyes met hers again.

“And did you know that he has a record?  He killed a girl, Sally.  He could hurt you, too.”

An eyebrow peaked on her forehead.  “Is that so?”

Peter nodded, looking like a man worried for her safety.  “He’s a dangerous man.  You can’t trust someone like that.”

“Someone like what, exactly?”

He sighed.  “I’m just concerned about you, Sally.  A woman out here, all alone and unprotected.  If something were to happen to you, it could be a long time before the police arrive.”

She pointed the knife at his groin.  “Which will give me ample time to carve a nice smiley face into your balls.”

“Sally, be realistic.  You can’t know—“

She cut him off with a wave of the blade, flinging gourd guts everywhere.  Peter stepped backward hastily.  “All I know is that you’re trespassing.  Get off my property before I go to jail for murder.  And I would gladly plea guilty if it meant I’d never have to see your face again.”

Peter narrowed his eyes at her, loosing all semblances of friendly concern and amiability.  “I want you back, Sally.  I could be better for you than he ever could.”