Sally: Part 29

Part 29

Un-freaking-believable, Wilson snarled as he glared at the parking lot forming on the interstate.  Twenty more minutes.  That's all he needed.  In less than half an hour, he could be in Sally’s arms, where he’d stay forever if he had anything to say about it.

After his truck had finally been fixed, he broke the speed limit to race home.  And got pulled over.  Luckily the state trooper was a woman with a soft spot for a true-love story, and when he explained that he was trying to get back to propose the woman of his dreams, she let him off with a warning.  She was a sweetheart.

And now this.

Wilson pounded on the steering wheel and considered hitting the road’s shoulder to go around all the dumbass’ that wanted to stare at the wreckage.  Didn’t they know he was in a hurry?  His limbs and heart ached.  He’d been away from Sally too long.  He felt like a drug addict going through withdrawals. 

The traffic inched along.  As he passed the accident – a mere fender-bender – he slammed his foot on the accelerator and got his truck up to speed within seconds.  The small, unmarked road that led to Sally's farm drew closer and closer.  Wilson hit her gravel drive going much too fast and fishtailed to an abrupt stop next to her white Dodge.

He jumped out of the driver's side, yelling for her, “Sally!  Get your sassy butt out here!”

*****

Thirty minutes earlier, Sally dashed out of the shopping mall, kissed Hannah good-bye and fled home.  Wilson called her as he left Fayetteville two hours ago when she and Hannah were browsing through Dillards, so she thought had time to finish her shopping and get back to the farm for a leisurely shower.

Then Hannah saw a sale sign in front of one of the boutiques, and the remaining time slipped by.  Sally couldn't complain.  She found a pale yellow, lace sundress more suited for the summer months and a pair of chocolate suede dress boots with a higher heel on them than she'd normally wear.  But she looked great, a sweet, feminine combination of sexy and virginal.  At least, that's what Hannah claimed.  Sally was just happy to finally be done.

Parking her truck beside her house, she checked her watch.  Unless, Wilson was riding on jet packs, she still had time to get cleaned up.  She hummed and smiled to herself as she unloaded her shopping bags and headed toward the house.

On the porch, she came to a dead stop.

Rats!  No, literally.  She'd forgotten to get the traps.  The exterminator declared her house as rodent-free, but she just couldn't take his word for it.  There was absolutely no way she was stepping inside that place until she was sure she wouldn't be waking up to a pair of beady, black eyes staring at her.

Sighing with frustration, she turned to Wilson's camper.  She'd just have to take a shower there.

*****

Through the binoculars, Peter saw Sally veer off to the camping trailer.  No, no, no, no, no!

She's going to ruin everything!  He scrambled down from the tree, knocking his shins on the branches as he dropped to the ground.  Perhaps if he showed up for another “visit,” he'd be able to distract her away from the trailer.

But as his luck would have it, a blue GMC truck flew into her drive way just as he crossed the road and dove behind a hedge.  He parted the leaves of the thick bush and saw Wilson jump out of the truck, calling Sally's name.