Sally: Part 30

Part 30

He stomped away, rifled through the cab of his truck and returned with a determined gleam in his eye and a small, velvet case in his hand. Sally's first thought was, Oh God, he's really gonna do it, and her feet began to sweat in her boots. But like always, the other end of her bi-polar temperament wondered if he had the mindset to not to get her one of those ostentatious, elephantine diamonds that stood up from a woman's finger like a sparkling wart. The prongs alone would catch on the first pair of work gloves she pulled on.

She was a simple gal with simple tastes and fairly practical about her jewelry. What was wrong with a nice pair of earrings for an engagement promise? A big, fat, typical diamond ring just wasn't her style...and oh heavens, she didn't know if she had the heart to say so to Wilson. He looked kind of pissed at the moment as it was. So, when he dropped to one knee, popped open the hinged lid, she prepared herself for looking more euphoric than she really felt.

The effort was wasted.

Instead of a glittering clear diamond, sitting bulbous and proud on a bed of scratchy ring prongs, there sat a wide, tarnished band – which wouldn't stand out garishly on her calloused fingers – with a pale blue gemstone the size of her pinky nail. But the gem looked as though it had been pushed into the gold metal while still molten and soft, a part of the whole rather than the focal point. The ring itself suggested a deep history. It was old and had probably spent considerable years on another woman's finger. Where did he get this? Was it his mother's?

It didn't shout out to the world, “I'm getting married!” It whispered in the wind, “I am cherished.”

Sally's brain shut down. Wil said something to her, but only one word bounced around inside her...perfect. The ring was perfect for her. Tears welled in her eyes. Wil knew her...a farmer who was filthy more than naught and needed complete access to her fingers to do her job. She'd never have to take this ring off because it would never get in the way of living her life. To her, that said more than all the I love you's in the world.

“Sally? I asked you a question.”

Her attention was still glued to the ring. She knew she had to say something, but for the life of her, she had no idea what. “It's...it's old,” she blurted out because other words to describe her pleasure failed her.

Wilson's grin slipped completely. He saw the tears in her eyes and her stunned face, and a blush stole up his neck. “It was my grandmother's, Sally. I thought you'd like it.”

He snapped the lid closed, fisting the case tightly and breaking Sally from her trance. “It's fine,” he went on stiffly. “I'll get you the biggest, brightest diamond ring I can find.”

She blinked at him. She couldn't have this one? Why the hell not?

“I just figured it was more your style,” he added and shrugged his shoulders as he stood up. “No biggie. I'll just...yeah.”

Wilson turned away, pacing quickly to his truck. He reached through the open windows for his bag. That's when Sally's mind caught up with what just happened. Oh crap. Talk about sticking a foot in her mouth.

“Wil, wait just a damn minute.” That likely wasn't the best way to start an apology, but hey...it got his attention. He turned to face her as she walked to him. Deadpan...nothing else could describe his expression.

“Where do you think you're going?” she asked, planting her feet wide apart and tilting her chin up at him.

“Oh, right,” he said in a flat voice, dropping his bag in the dirt. “The sex. How could I forget?”