sally: Part 37

Part 37

Feeling as though her insides were blistering with her heartbreak, Sally leaned into Sage, who made calming sounds and rubbed her back. Just like that, he was gone. Wil was gone. And Peter remained.

How ironic was that?

She couldn’t believe he had the nerve to show up here tonight with a state trooper to marshal Wilson back to Missouri. When would he stop? How could she get it through his thick skull that they were finished…and it was all his fault?

Sally lifted her head and sneered at him. Mike took him off to one side, berating him in a low voice, and Peter had that bored look on his face. He didn’t care one bit what happened here. He didn’t give a flip that he hurt her. He just wanted what he now knows he didn’t have. Well, she had news for him. She’d pull up her roots and move to Missouri before going back to him.

And yet, Sally knew that wouldn’t stop him. He’d find a way to get Wilson back in a prison cell – for life this time. He had to be stopped. And she held the only thing that would do that. Tomorrow when Jared took Reggie to the vet, she’d be there. With Reggie’s broken fang and Jared’s testimony, Peter wouldn’t stand a chance. She could charge him with attempted murder or something like that and get a restraining order against him. After tomorrow, she’d be free of him, and she could go after Wilson.

She’d go tonight, but without the veterinary’s documented report, Peter might not get what he deserved. One night. She could do that. She had to do that. And she’d be damned if she gave Peter anything to chew on until then. If he didn’t know about Reggie’s fang, she sure as hell won’t say anything. Who knows what might happen to it if he knew?

But right now, she wanted him out of her sight.

Sally stomped over to the brothers. “Peter, you are an unwelcome trespasser on my land. You have three minutes to get off of it.”

Peter removed a piece of paper from his back pocket and handed it to her without comment.

“What is this?”

“That gives me the legal right to inspect and enter the home of a parolee under my supervision,” he stated, getting more arrogant by the word.

Sally slapped the paper on his chest – hard – and said, “Well, since he doesn’t live here any more, you have no right to be here.”

“On the contrary,” he said, “Mr. Martin’s residence in this state, and on your farm, doesn’t terminate until midnight. I am well within my legal restrictions until then. And there is nothing you can do about it.”

She snarled. “You wanna bet?”

“Now, Sally, don’t make idle threats,” he returned in a calm, irritating voice. “I am a government employee. Don’t do anything you’ll regret.”

“Oh, I won’t regret it.”

Peter shrugged and smiled. “You were always so stubborn. After tonight, when you settle down a little, you’ll see that I am doing this for you. That man would have only hurt you. This is for your own good.”

There that was again! He spoke to her like a child. God, that was infuriating! She poked him in the chest. “Listen, buster. You don’t know a damn thing about what’s good for me. This is your last chance to leave me the hell alone.”

He smiled like she was a cute little toddler. “Or what, Sally?”

Well, hell. She couldn’t tell him that, and she promised Wilson she wouldn't do anything foolhardy – dammit. If he suspected she had something on him, he’d find a way to get rid of the evidence. So, she clamped her mouth shut and turned to Mike. “Are you going to be here long?”