Chapter 5

I didn't talk to Adrian for the next day. Him and ryder waited patiently for me to make comments on the plans but i simply grabbed it from them, grabbed a quill and piece of parchment and stared at the maps.

What could i add here from the Morden world that wouldn't raise too many questions and was possible.

I started making a list.
Drains,
Public bathrooms off the market.
Police station.

"Do the towns people own horses?" I asked ryder, not looking at Adrian. He sighed before getting up and bolting the door. He was ready to talk.

"A very few." He said and i added a public carriage system to the list, this would be a primordial Uber system.

"What is police station?" Adrian asked and i ignored him, he sighed and motioned ryder who repeated the question, bemused.

"It's kind of an army outpost, put a few soldiers there, smart ones and they take care of the town, they will arrest, criminals and bring them to court for justice, you know, thief's, murderers et centra, they won't have to come up to the castle for small stuff." Ryder looked at adrian for consult and he shrugged.

"Will have to run it by father." He said.

"Where is the school?" I asked and they both gave me another confused look. "Where do kids learn how to read and write?"

"They don't" ryder said and i stared at him. "It came as a shock to us when we found out you can read and write." He said shrugging.

"One problem at a time." I muttered to myself.

"Where does the sewage go?" I asked.

"In the sea." Ryder answered.

"That will do." Adrian said coldly and i didn't look at him. "We need to pace ourselves with the new ideas."

Adrian and ryder worked there for a while more before Adrian sent him away to talk to someone named gordon. I started getting my book out but he opened the drawer again, i stilled, thinking he needed to feed again, only he got out something worse, the leash.

I managed to stick to my resolve of not talking to him however and didn't argue, he didn't tie it to the back loop, instead latched it on the front loop, so that i could walk behind him.

We again, got a lot of stares as we got out of the room, the people whispered among themselves, all my anger vanished however when i came upon the large hall, it was replaced by fear and i hid behind him, my heart thudding into my chest.

He took small steps, making sure everyone in the court got a good look before walking right out the front door, a little further and we reached the garden. He looked around for a moment, cold and scary before switching the leash to the back loop and standing behind me.

He was allowing me to lead.

He stayed close behind me for the entire hour, always looking around. Somehow that one hour seemed more exhaustive than days of work.

"I wanna go to the beach." I said looking longingly at the sea behind the castle and he didn't reply for a long time.

"Ready to go back?" He asked finally and i wordlessly turned to face him, he quickly again switched the leash to the front loop and i closed my eyes, not wanting to look at his face.

The walk back to the room somehow seemed to last forever.

He made a sound of disagreement as i poured myself a drink and i ignored him, grabbing my book and sitting by the window.

The door opened and i heated ryder's footsteps come in.

"Did it work?" Adrian asked.

"It did, they are talking." He said and i heard them high five. "Your uncle will be pleased, there is already talk to get more humans, they think the arrangement just might wo-"