Chapter 7

I was dropped to the halfling quarters by ryder early the next morning, i wanted to go alone but with Luca and the rest of the men and army back, adrian wouldn't have it.

"Look who's back" rose said with a big smile. "You can leave." She told ryder coldly and he walked away angrily.p

"What was that about?" I asked but she just shook her head.

"What do you need, i doubt those two let you out because you were bored." She asked and i told her about the ball.

"So you need three dresses, it should be cheap and something you can wear more than once, you have come to the wrong place honey, i don't dress up." She said folding her laundry.

"Oh i don't need to borrow something, i have a budget." I said and showed her the pouch of money i had was give, her mouth dropped open. "I don't know the economy here so i don't want to be ripped off." I said happily and she nodded.

Fifteen minutes later we were on our way to the vampire town, she took me straight to the shop named the crinoliners, it was a huge white shop with at least five women being fitted at once.

Everyone stopped working the moment we entered and turned to look at me.

"Oh no, Rose." The woman that looked like the head seamstress said, "do not bring her kind here." She said and i grabbed rose and walked out before she could start arguing. We visited three more shops and after the last one, rose dragged me to the shadier part of the town.

The shop was small and a little dusty, all kinds of fabrics lined the walls, scissors, stencils and thread rolls were littered around.

"She is not big but she is good, and very cheap." Rose whispered and rang the bell.

An old woman came in and inhaled at seeing who it was, she controlled her expression though and came to stand behind the counter.

"What can i do for you young ladies?" She asked trying not to stare at the collar on my neck.

"We need three dresses made, within the week."

"Easily done, i have quite an empty calendar." She joked and then pushed her glasses up the nose to get a good look at me. "My, my, this young woman needs a lot more than three if you ask me, she is not a part of your army i presume?" She asked and rose nodded. She again turned to me. "Let me have a look at you dear." She said and clapped her hands, a sole light bulb turned on.

"What is the occasion?" She asked taking out an old catalogue and handing it to us.

"The emperor is visiting, she will be required to attend the balls and court." Rose said as i flipped through the catalogue.

"No." I said letting rose flip through it. "It is all too heavy and big and layered" I said and she stared at me as if i was from another planet, well i was. "I need something simple, and just one layer, no multiple skirts." I said and both of them gaped at me.

"Can you make something out of a drawing?" I asked and she nodded mutely. "What kind of fabrics do you have?" I asked.

"Cotton, linen, silk, lace." She said talking directly to me. "And the colours?" I asked.

"Purple, lilac, yellow, red, i can embroider them but that will take longer."

"Any powder blue?" I asked and she shook her head, "pale pink?" I asked and another shake, "sage green?" And no again. "We will be back tomorrow." I told her and dragged a miffed rose back to the castle.

"What are you planning?" She asked suspiciously.

"I am going to tell you how to dress twenty first century style." I said. "Do you know anyone who can draw?" I asked and she nodded.