A hero's resort

So, before we start, some info.

The story takes place in the generic setting of heroes, demons, monsters, magic, advanced lost civilizations, and all the between.

"This is when a character speaks." "I need to figure out a better explanation."

(This is thinking.) (I need to stop talking to myself in my head)

This is narration. The man just stood there, his mind seemingly not present as he kept thinking without paying attention to his surroundings...

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Among the busiest streets of Iero. The biggest and hailed Holy city of the nation. Two well-dressed women were nonchalantly looking at the shop stalls as their horse carriage was passing by...

One was dressed in a bright red ball dress, looking slightly annoyed. The other was in a blue ball dress, her expression not visible through the hand fan she was holding over the lower part of her face.

The packed dirt road their carriage was going through was full of people, some trying to sell their wares on makeshift stalls, others hastily moving towards their destination, while others were casually browsing the wares of a stall that interested them. The stalls themselves set up rather haphazardly with no real order. You could find a weapons dealer next to a smelly fish stall, which could be next to a jeweler. Being it one of the most walked roads, having the ability to just set up shop here usually surpassed any annoyance of who was next to you.

The road, seemingly unending, stretched for as far as the eye could see, heading straight towards the main heart of the city. The spire.

But, that was not the destination these women were going for, as the carriage took a turn away from the populated street soon after, turning towards an upward road, leaving the overcrowded, rough dirt road behind for one that was quieter, cleaner, and covered in stone slates.

"Ugh. Finally, the smell was starting to get to me." The woman in the red dress groans as she keeps glancing out of the carriage.

"I told you to get a carriage that had a ceiling and doors dear, you didn't listen." The woman with the fan chuckled.

"You never told me we would be passing through the slums." The one in the red dress responded as she turned to face the one holding the fan, narrowing her eyes.

"Slums? It was just the busiest road of our fair city. Though, I do admit that most individuals trekking that road, could use a bath." The woman with the fan responds as she chuckles once again.

The woman in the red dress groaned silently once again before turning to look at the passers-by.

"By the way, did you hear? They say that the Demon queen's daughter is trying to gather up an army again."The one with the fan continued, causing her chat partner to yet again turn towards her.

"Really? Already?" The woman in the red dress asked as she arched an eyebrow.

"Don't tell me the imbeciles want to attack again. They should have learned by now, even the meekest hero baptized here, is leagues above their very best." She continued.

"You tell me, it's been only a year since the late demon queen fell, but it seems they are at it again." The woman with the fan replies as she waves it slightly at her face.

"Which just proves my point exactly. But hey, since it has been only a year, maybe they could just skip baptizing a new generation of heroes and send the old ones again, maybe this time snuff out the queen's bloodline completely as well." The woman in the red dress folds her arms as she speaks.