Chapter 7 : A Surprise Visitor

Bondita followed her Sasur Ji, and the person she saw waiting at the main door to the haveli, brought both tears, and immense happiness to her. It was her paternal grandmother (Thakuma, as they call it), who she fondly called Thamma. 

(Please note, that Thamma here is merely another character, and has no relation with the Thamma who is being shown in the show right now. The personalities may or may not match, but please remember, my Thamma is different from the one in the show)

She hadn't seen her Thamma in so, so long, but she still looked just the same. A woman with rather bold looks for her time. She had sharp eyes, and sharp features. And although she had a slightly wrinkly face, it didn't show signs of age, but of experience, knowledge, and wisdom. She posed a sweet smile too, one that would make anyone forget the rest of the bold features she had. She wasn't too tall, neither was she too short. And once again, she looked like a person with wisdom beyond words.

 Bondita ran to her Thamma, and gave hur a tight hug. She slowly recollected all the happy moments she had had with her Thamma. Helping her grandma mix the pickle, picking flowers from their garden before the morning puja, sitting in the lawn during the evenings, the smell of wet grass wafting through the air. She remembered dragging her Thamma outside with her to play "Ghoda Chamaat Khayi", and although Thamma never really played the game, Bondita felt a sense of accompaniment when she was around Thamma.

 However, as there good memories, there are also bad ones. Bondita's bad memories weren't necessarily related to her Thammma, but to the entire paternal side of her family. Her paternal grandfather (Dadu) had always been conservative, much to her dismay, because she never liked the rules, or rather, limits, created by society for girls. Her Thamma, although obeying of societal rules, never enforced anything upon Bondita, much unlike her husband, Bondita's Dadu. He was the one who had banished Bondita his son's passing, and had warned her to never turn back to the Das family again. Bondita wasn't angry on anyone, just slightly disappointed in her Thakuma for not having said anything to her husband when he threw her out.

Bondita slowly left her embrace, and proceeded to bend down and touch Thamma's feet. After taking her blessings, Bondita slowly started to walk back to her room.

Thamma : Ruko Bondita! Where are you off to? Won't you speak to your Thamma for a bit? I' meeting you after so long!

Bondita : Sorry Thakuma, I would love to talk a bit more, but I really have some work to get done. Why don't you wait here, I'll try to be back in a while. (Hesitantly, she started walking away again, when Thamma called out, once again)

Thamma : I know why you're mad at me Bondita, I am only here to sort it out. I am sorry for what I did, or actually, didn't do, when your Dadu banished you from the house. But I am here to mend it all. Listen to me, I am even taking you back home for a few days, with complete respect. You can stay with us for as long as you want!

This one statement about her going back made Bondita stop in her tracks.

Bondita : Shotti Thamma?

Thamma : Shotti Bondita! Ab toh apni Thamma ko maaf kar de...

Bondita : Theek hai, Thamma, I am not disappointed in you anymore. Come with me, Thamma, let me introduce you to my family members! 

She pulled Thamma with her into the inner quarters of the Haveli. Thamma first met Batuk and Somnath, who were causing a ruckus in front of the kitchen, but they did take her blessings when they got to know who she was. Next they moved to Anirudh, and although Bondita was mad at him, she introduced him to her. Anirudh took her blessings as well, and spoke with Thamma for a bit. Thamma had already met Binoy, so she didn't bother introducing him again. After having met both Bihari and Koyeli, Bondita took Thamma to KakaSasurji's room last, as he had been busy. There, Kaka Sasur Ji was so shocked to see Thamma, that he dropped the porcelain tea cup he was holding. 

The shattering sound resonated throughout the room, followed by just three words.

Kaka Sasur Ji : Aap?

Thamma : Haan, mai.

What relation did Thamma and Kaka Sasur Ji have? How did they know each other?  Keep reading to find out!

Please let me know how it was in the comments, and also provide any suggestions that you might have!

Signing off!