Chapter 13

TW: descriptive physical and verbal abuse, strong themes.

— Chapter 13 —
Cuts and Bruises

=||=||=

E L L I O T

The buzzing of my phone in my pocket was enough to wake me up the next morning. I hardly ever got notifications.

Groggily pulling my focus to my phone and taking it out of my pocket, I felt the soreness in my forehead from sleeping against the bathroom door all night. It was cold and hardly comfortable, but it was better than being bruised and battered.

I tapped my phone screen awake and found the messages that had been sent to me only seconds ago.

Noah Black
Today at 11:46 am

Noah:
Did you get home okay last night?

Noah:
Sorry about Marcus. He won't be bothering you anymore.

I bit the side of my cheek, feeling some kind of weight lifting off my shoulders. Noah Black is checking up on me? Why?

Elliot:
Seems like you're always apologizing for something.

Elliot:
I'm fine. You don't need to worry.

Elliot:
Thanks, though.

Shit, I thought to myself as a read receipt appeared below the message. I re-read the words a few times over as I waited for him to reply. I hoped my texts weren't too dry.

Noah:
I can't really help it.

Noah:
I didn't realize you and Marcus knew each other... friend of yours?

Elliot:
God no. The guy's a prick.

Elliot:
You two didn't fight last night, right?

Noah:
Why? You worried about me, Taylor?

I re-read his message and let out a soft exhale. I would never admit it openly, but there was a small pull at the edge of my lips.

Elliot:
Don't flatter yourself :)

Noah:
Haha.

Noah:
No, we didn't fight. It wouldn't exactly be fair for him.

Noah:
Are you busy tomorrow?

Turning my gaze to the door handle, which was still locked despite all my father's tugging on it last night, I scratched the back of my neck. It didn't sound like he was home.

Elliot:
Not really. I have the day off. No plans. You?

Noah:
Work in the morning, but nothing after that.

Elliot:
You work?

Noah:
I have to earn a living somehow, don't I? :)

Scrunching my face in embarrassment, I scolded myself, stupid question, Elliot. Stupid question.

Noah:
Yeah. It's an auto repair shop near my place. Pays the bills, I guess.