Chapter 65

— Chapter 65 —
Flames

=||=||=

E L L I O T

"You didn't have to tag along, you know," I told James as we walked up towards the doors of Joe's Bar. "I'm fine without a scary guard-dog following behind me."

"Well, I'm not," he countered. "Are you sure you want to be working in the condition you're in? How's your shoulder?"

"I'll be fine. It's just a few cuts and bruises."

"You were in bed for four days straight."

"Hey," I joked, "that's a new record."

James gave me a look, his brows knitting together. "I'm glad your sense of humor is still intact. Concerned at the subject matter, but... glad, I guess."

"You can feel joy?" I feigned surprise.

"Very funny."

James pushed the door open for me as we walked inside, but I was unprepared for the sight that greeted me when I finally adjusted to all the yellow lights reflecting off beer glasses and chequered flooring.

"Alright, boys," Shooter's voice spoke over murmuring bikers. "Two of you go for the legs. Grease, pin him down—I'll rip his head off."

Chains cautioned, "No sudden moves."

I raised a concerned brow. The Stray Dogs were circled around in a small mob by the far wall, with their arms up at the ready. I couldn't see what the fuss was about between all the leather-clad bodies, but something was definitely up. I'd never seen them so focused.

Eve, who was standing behind the counter, gave me a disappointed sigh. James passed me a quizzical glance.

I couldn't help but ask.

"Uh... what's going on in here?"

My voice must have alarmed everyone because just like that, the Stray Dogs dived head-first for whoever was in the middle of the crowd. Everything descended into madness.

"Hold him down!" I heard someone yell. Noah?

Shooter's voice. "Don't let him escape, you idiots!"

"I got him! I got him!"

Chains shouted back, "That's my fucking leg!"

Between the squirming of bikers that had dog-piled on top of each other, a mess of russet feathers and bird-like screeching told me that whatever they were trying so hard to catch... definitely wasn't human.

Oh no.

James leaned down slightly to whisper his confusion. "What... what exactly am I looking at here?"

I didn't spare the time to give him an answer. While chaos reigned supreme amongst the struggling bikers, I ducked to the drawers beneath the cash register and started searching frantically through them. I knew a day like this would come again—only this time I was prepared.

"Get the damn thing!" Chains yelled, "Get it, get it, don't let—!"

Finding the packet of birdseed, I stuck it up in the air triumphantly, as if anyone was even paying attention.

Someone else wailed, "Son of a bitch bit me!"

"I got it! I got it!"

"Looks like we're having chicken for dinner, boys!"

"Shit, I don't got it!"

The chicken was actually sitting safely off to the side, watching the muscled men wrestle each other in attempt to catch a hen that wasn't even there.