Chapter 83

— Chapter 83 —
Realigned Allegiances

=||=||=

N O A H

I quickly moved within earshot of the group, sticking to the shadows of the crowd as a way of staying out of sight. The stocky thug kicked Jasper's legs out from under him, planting the kid flat on his ass at Sage's feet. Jasper kept his cool, though—it wasn't the first time one of my poorly-planned endeavors had gotten his ass caught.

"And what do we have here?" Sage spoke, her left brow raised in interest toward my brother.

The broad-shouldered biker answered. "We found this slippery little rat sneaking around the tracks. Some of the boys caught him sabotaging their bikes, digging around in the bodywork and slashing holes in their tires."

What an idiot.

"Tires?" Jasper feigned innocence. "Oh, man, my bad. I thought they were piñatas. Honest mistake."

One of the men behind Sage, a Pit Viper, audibly scoffed. He adjusted the toothpick between his lips and sneered, a fiery danger flickering in his eyes.

"I say we cut his hands off," the biker suggested.

"No!" Jasper snapped. "Not my hands. They're real delicate."

The broad-shouldered thug ripped a dagger from his boot. "Forget that," he decided, "I say we hack out his tongue."

"Woah, woah—tongue? We're hitting third base already?" A grimace struck my brother's expression.

"Tongue it is."

"Not my tongue," Jasper snapped. "I need that for when I'm insulting you." He paused for a beat. "Oh, wait—I'd still have my hands, and I'm pretty good at insulting people with those too, so... I mean, you could cut off my hands and my tongue, then I'd really be stumped, but..." He snorted. "Oh, that's a little on the nose, huh?"

Sage paid no mind to his rambling.

"You look familiar," she said, leaning down to meet his eyes. Resting her hands on her knees, she tilted her head curiously. "Where do I know you from?"

"You don't recognize me?" said Jasper. "Come on, sis. I'm the better version of my brother."

You wish.

A smirk slowly split through Sage's lips.

"Well, well," she drawled. "If it isn't the runt of the litter. I'd say it's a pleasure to see you again, Blackjack, but wherever your family goes, bad luck just tends to follow."

Jasper bared his teeth in reply.

Sage's lip curled. A realization struck her at that moment, and after a moment's reservation, her spine shot up straight.

"Wait a damn minute," she hissed. "If you're here—where's your brother?"

I chuckled cruelly. As her head swiveled to pick through the crowd and find me, I picked up my phone and dialed Jasper's number, carefully flicking up the visor to my helmet.

It was two rings before Jasper's phone started blaring. He knew better than to leave me hanging. Making an educated guess, my brother quickly offered the ringing phone up to Sage.

"That'd be for you," he announced.

Sage grit her teeth and brought the phone to her ear.

"You just don't know when to quit, do you, Edge?"